Swarm arrived..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant video. I think this is a great way of shwoing people why neighbours find swarms scary!

Cool vid PH, cheers for posting.

How jammy are you :p - I had 3 bait hives in different areas - Zilch - just calls out to bees in bedrooms, trees, rockeries -everywhere but a bait hive.

And 4 primes still to have sign of brood after 10 days- worrying - the casts I dont mind the 3 week wait- but the weather wont get better than this!

thats great PH!
especially having seen your pics and vid earlier of the scouts checking out the hive.
How long after taking the pics before the swarm arrived??

Last edited:
There was a distinct lessening of activity. The scout vid was shot about 2pm, about 20 past it went quiet and I thought mutter mutter mutter as you do.

Ten minutes later roughly half past 2 they arrived. :) :) :)

One happy PH

There was a distinct lessening of activity. The scout vid was shot about 2pm, about 20 past it went quiet and I thought mutter mutter mutter as you do.

Ten minutes later roughly half past 2 they arrived. :) :) :)

One happy PH

Thats brilliant! thanks for posting bee-smillie

and Julie is still wanting £2-60 for the Lemongrass oil.... :ack2:

PH

Excellent post thanks. (you jammy git :))

Just for info, they are covering a handsome 7 frames.

PH

Cracking video. Shows experience, if it was me I would stand there with me gob open and then when the show was over think about filming it!
Cheers

The secret to swarm baiting is revealed

Poly floor and roof is the answer ! :rofl:

Congrats

Today was a good day for collecting swarms... (see my next thread)
:p

and Julie is still wanting £2-60 for the Lemongrass oil.... :ack2:
PH

Pay the lady, or claim that it was the stripy shirt that attracted them. :)

Is the brick language saying, "Desirable Residence to let"? :seeya:

Thanks for posting that.

Lucky bugger!
I live in a valley and I think I must be one of only 2 beekeepers.
I'm not even sure if the other beekeeper still has any. So not much chance of me catching one.

Went and recovered two bait hives this evening.

One has a tiny colony (from the sound of it and the lack of weight) and the other had 5 or 6 shallow frames of honey and a huge amount of comb below the frames (14 x 12 nuc box with a Dartington half super above). Unfortunately last night's storms had brought it to the ground in a big crash and some of the comb is in the bottom of the hive. The bees are in terrible condition - heavy varroa infestation - so will need attention PDQ. They will both get an inspection tomorrow evening, weather permitting. I am thinking they were the remnants from a local commercial beefarmer who gave up (retired?) last year.

My own swarm of 3 weeks ago is going like a train. The 14 x 12 brood box is full to the gunnels with honey and brood. The only space was a small section of foundation which was too close to the hive wall (made up with the extra comb, drawn and filled with honey, on the other side!).

Looks like extraction time this week.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back