Swarm arrived in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 must stop now.....
I had set my hives up as bait hives as not got bees yet. Seemed the logical thing to try, and with lots of advice here put some really old brood comb in, and a drop of lemongrass oil. Sealed all the floor etc. And left it be. Last few days the odd bee visited, then the numbers grew, and you could hear them pinging about inside.
On Thursday there was nothing all day, I thought they'd found a better place to go, then at 1pm they arrived. Not the biggest swarm, though it seemed it when they were all around us.
I've witnessed some amazing things, but that's was up there with them all.
And so begins the steepest learning curve, hopefully they'll stay, just going to follow the advice and leave alone for a few days, then feed little and often as they are on new undrawn Foundation.
Thanks for all the help.View attachment VID_20210528_131528.mp4

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_132405_4.jpg
    IMG_20210528_132405_4.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210528_132426_4.jpg
    IMG_20210528_132426_4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I had set my hives up as bait hives as not got bees yet. Seemed the logical thing to try, and with lots of advice here put some really old brood comb in, and a drop of lemongrass oil. Sealed all the floor etc. And left it be. Last few days the odd bee visited, then the numbers grew, and you could hear them pinging about inside.
On Thursday there was nothing all day, I thought they'd found a better place to go, then at 1pm they arrived. Not the biggest swarm, though it seemed it when they were all around us.
I've witnessed some amazing things, but that's was up there with them all.
And so begins the steepest learning curve, hopefully they'll stay, just going to follow the advice and leave alone for a few days, then feed little and often as they are on new undrawn Foundation.
Thanks for all the help.View attachment 26359

Well done! How many old brood frames did you use? I’ve only got one in each of my bait hives and left the remaining space as a void. But I’ve had a couple of people tell me I should really have more than one old brood frame in each bait hive

Well done I'd leave them for a week minimum, You just saved yourself nearly £200. I bet your chuffed 😂

I'm over the moon. The old brood comb was literally just floor sweepings, squished onto the top bar of a frame, and held on with an elastic band.

I'm over the moon. The old brood comb was literally just floor sweepings, squished onto the top bar of a frame, and held on with an elastic band.
I tried to lure swarms into bait hives when I first started many times and failed. I caught my first swarms in empty supers I left out after extraction. They're a swarm magnet

No they are not. They are a magnet for every passing, disease carrying robber bee. In my early years I would extract round at my beekeeping mates house. One of his jobs was to take outside and stack extracted boxes. After a couple of hours I got a call to go and collect a swarm and the address was my mates house. On going outside, the stack of supers, which had not been made bee secure, were surrounded in clouds of robbers

No they are not. They are a magnet for every passing, disease carrying robber bee. In my early years I would extract round at my beekeeping mates house. One of his jobs was to take outside and stack extracted boxes. After a couple of hours I got a call to go and collect a swarm and the address was my mates house. On going outside, the stack of supers, which had not been made bee secure, were surrounded in clouds of robbers
Yes that's what I did not realising I'd left a small entry point. Had multiple swarms. Being a magnet for robbing bees doesn't mean they don't attract swarms but I've made sure I make them secure now for those reasons and I'd rather my own bees clean them

Latest posts

Back