Swarm and supercedure story so far!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
It really seems to be the story of the season so far. Around 8 of my hives have superceded or are in the process off doing so and had to do a few split (congestion was probably my fault for some ). Also had a couple of swarms from demaree which were done about 3 weeks ago. Luckily queens were clipped.

I haven't had a drop of honey which is a first as I usually get a descent spring crop from the dandelion and hawthorn.

It really seems to be the story of the season so far. Around 8 of my hives have superceded or are in the process off doing so and had to do a few split (congestion was probably my fault for some ). Also had a couple of swarms from demaree which were done about 3 weeks ago. Luckily queens were clipped.

I haven't had a drop of honey which is a first as I usually get a descent spring crop from the dandelion and hawthorn.
You might be getting a spring crop from bramble..... It's been open a week here!

Hi I've done a demaree for the first time in my 1st year. Would be interested to know more about the swarms you experienced. Can you share any advice/tips?
Thanks

Any idea as to why so many supercedures?

Mine have done exactly the same. 21 colonies all came through winter strong and very early started swarm prep. Some 2020 & some 2021 Q’s didn’t make a difference. Done a load of splits, Snelgrove etc as swarm control & re combining. But since the artificial swarms I’ve had 6 superceeding. No idea why as queens look fine & laying well. Honey crop is also down on what I expected

You might be getting a spring crop from bramble..... It's been open a week here
This and clover are usually my main flow starting to flower towards the 3rd week of June. Both are starting now so perhaps 1 crop this year?

Any idea as to why so many supercedures
Nope, they were all 21 queens mostly done through demaree so should have produced healthy ones. Had a few being superceded post demaree, perhaps the bees thought the lack of brood was a sign of failure?

You should only do a demaree as a preventive way, not reactive. I always do mine when I have 7 frames of brood and the bees are over 8-9 frames. If they have 1 super in between they tend not to make Qcs but they will if you have 2 or more supers.
I don't know why 1 has tried to swarm, they usually don't if it has been done properly, ieh before they had started swarm preps.

You should only do a demaree as a preventive way, not reactive. I always do mine when I have 7 frames of brood and the bees are over 8-9 frames. If they have 1 super in between they tend not to make Qcs but they will if you have 2 or more supers.
I don't know why 1 has tried to swarm, they usually don't if it has been done properly, ieh before they had started swarm preps.
I'm a first year BK, did the demarre 4 days ago when I saw two charged queen cups. Will it still work?
If done as reactive, what will happen?

I'm a first year BK, did the demarre 4 days ago when I saw two charged queen cups. Will it still work?
If done as reactive, what will happen?
they may well swarm regardless, and usually do unless you're lucky.

Latest posts

Back