Swarm advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
If I pick up a swarm this evening in a skep can I keep them in the skep overnight and then drive them to their new location the next morning and then hive them?

If that is a really stupid question please just say so :ack2: :)

I don't see why not if the forecast is set fair, which it probably will be given our current mini-heatwave.

Block the entrance hole (if it's a proper skep) overnight too so that they don't abscond whilst your back is turned!

Put the container you are catching thw swarm in on a sheet AFTER you have the bulk of the bees shook into it.

Prop one edge on a brick or stoen or waht ever and go for a brew giving them time to get fanning and call the remainder of the girls home.

Wrap said container up and the bees will settle there quite happily over night and then pop them into their new home tomorrow.

Have fun watching them call in the sisters is always enjoyable.

Ph

Rather depends on how long they have been in the skep! Too long and it will be full of comb!

Just think for a moment. What would the bees have done overnight if they were not in your skep? How long might they be dangling as a swarm before leaving for the new home?

I do prefer to hive them in the evening, if running them in. Less likely to go awol, although never had one do that to me in those circumstances.

Never tried to squeeze a good sized swarm into 3 small frames either, but even into a 'tight for a nuc' is probably better, followed by transfer of frames to main hive shortly afterwards. They can be well on the way with the comb-drawing over just one warm night.

Regards, RAB

Back