Swam has arrived, but they don't want to enter the hive...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
Hello everyone - I'm a beginner beekeeper with my first swarm arriving right now in a bait hive. They began arriving around 14:30. It looks like they are not certain about entering though - perhaps the queen is still outside? What would your advice be? Should I leave them for an hour or two, or put them into a 10 frame hive myself? Thanks in advance!

Richard
View attachment Bee swarm2.mp4

Doesn't Seeley recommend a bait box >40ltrs? Whats the size of that box?

Hello everyone - I'm a beginner beekeeper with my first swarm arriving right now in a bait hive. They began arriving around 14:30. It looks like they are not certain about entering though - perhaps the queen is still outside? What would your advice be? Should I leave them for an hour or two, or put them into a 10 frame hive myself? Thanks in advance!

Richard
View attachment 26089

Hi Lucky you- I am in the same situation but without a swarm- waiting patiently with 4 old hives baited. what sort of swarm trap is that please? Where did you buy it? I am just using old hives as lost colonies over winter but like you a new beek. I don't know what I am talking about but I would put some frames with foundation inside if not there already. Good luck, Mark

I have a bait hive on top of our local mosque that got a swarm yesterday

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pDCm2ix2EmfR5wED9
Its made up of foundation less frames and a manky brood frame in a national hive (thanks to the apiarist for the guidance and the tip here to ensure the floor is in the box !)

I will vape them when i get them back to home (4miles away) and put another empty on the same site.

My question is what now ....

should I move the entire box and leave the swarm in the big box to get on with life ?

leave that box there and transfer them to a nuc and then transport that back to home

Last edited:
I took the decision to move them into a 10 frame hive - which as a complete beginner brushing them into a bucket then pouring them into a hive (& repeat...) was a scary thing. They were very good to me though.DSC04113.JPGDSC04113.JPG
Doesn't Seeley recommend a bait box >40ltrs? Whats the size of that box?
It's a smidgen over 40 litres.....I've read his recommendations too!

Hello Richard and welcome.
I would give them a while to see if they start entering, myself.
Thanks Steve - I probably panicked a little as someone told me the entrance hole was too small and that I needed to put them in by removing the lid. WIth that in mind, I decided to 'drop' them straight into a 10 frame box. As of this morning, all good.

Hi Lucky you- I am in the same situation but without a swarm- waiting patiently with 4 old hives baited. what sort of swarm trap is that please? Where did you buy it? I am just using old hives as lost colonies over winter but like you a new beek. I don't know what I am talking about but I would put some frames with foundation inside if not there already. Good luck, Mark
Hi Mark - the trap I'm using is homemade, designed to take 5 frames and be over 40 litres (it's 41...). It's just made out of OSB (12mm?) which is pretty durable. 2 frames either have a full wax foundation sheet and 3 only 1/3....penny pinching! To be honest I didn't fancy my chances as I didn't have any old frames with comb to put in there. I baited with lemongrass oil. I have a 2nd bait hive which is getting some interest too...we'll see. View attachment IMG_4263.JPG

I took the decision to move them into a 10 frame hive - which as a complete beginner brushing them into a bucket then pouring them into a hive (& repeat...) was a scary thing. They were very good to me though.View attachment 26091View attachment 26091

It's a smidgen over 40 litres.....I've read his recommendations too!
That was what I would have suggested as the best option had I seen it earlier. Well done and wish you luck. Don't feed for 3 days or so but vaporise with oxalic acid soonest as varroa will multiply very fast if you don't control it. Try Wynne Jones for a tool and then get a 12v battery and bob's your flippin'.

That was what I would have suggested as the best option had I seen it earlier. Well done and wish you luck. Don't feed for 3 days or so but vaporise with oxalic acid soonest as varroa will multiply very fast if you don't control it. Try Wynne Jones for a tool and then get a 12v battery and bob's your flippin'.
Thanks for that - in retrospect I wish I'd used a 5 frame hive rather than 10 which seems a little big. I know nothing on varroa treatment as yet, but following your tips will be better informed by the end of the day. I though the general view was not to disturb a newly installed swarm for 7 to 10 days - would varroa treatment wait until then or is it an as soon as?

when measuring the size of the box the bees will stop at the obstructions eg frames. filled frames etc so your 40l can be considerably smaller than 40l in the bees calcs,... they dont go round and add the extra bits together

OP is in France. ;)

Thanks for that - in retrospect I wish I'd used a 5 frame hive rather than 10 which seems a little big. I know nothing on varroa treatment as yet, but following your tips will be better informed by the end of the day. I though the general view was not to disturb a newly installed swarm for 7 to 10 days - would varroa treatment wait until then or is it an as soon as?
Don't need to wait quite that long - after 3 days they will have settled in and won't be going anywhere else. Just possible you have a virgin Q in the swarm so don't stick a QE under the BB as is recommended elsewhere here as she will need to mate. Looks unlikely but one never knows. Later when they have settled in, find the Q (tricky but worth practising) and mark her but be very careful not to damage her. Later still, catch her again after she is laying and clip her wings so she can't abscond with half her daughters and your potential honey crop.

It's possible to treat with little or no disturbance, oxalic acid vaping for example. You have the choice to dummy their hive space to a more suitable size but I wouldn't concern yourself, they will soon build up.
Again, I would leave them alone and let them settle in. After a week or even two, you can assess their status. Enjoy your new bees, well done!

OP is in France. ;)
Woops!! can still view their website though and see where to go. Must get sublimation too and get it done soonest. Before the hornets get them? ;)

Latest posts

Back