Sussex killer bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
'er indoors heard our local BBC radio spouting on about "dangerous bees" in our area,and after a great deal of hefty Googling, came up with this -
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Bee-ware-bug/article-2318575-detail/article.html
-do we have any experts in our midst who'll confirm that they're just another species of bumble?, and no more "dangerous" than many others, instead of the histrionic old tosh dished up by bored local journos..........

The bees he has removed are now living in his garden amongst the more friendly species.

However he is worried about the outcome should these new bees mate with two British varieties know to be aggressive when their homes are disturbed.

If these bees are that agressive and Mr Lee is that concerned about them crossing with our mongrels then surely he should be treating them with a cup of petrol to attempt to slow down the spread?

This looks like them to me - if so then non-aggressive. Collected (complete with bird box) from resident's garden.

This looks like them to me - if so then non-aggressive. Collected (complete with bird box) from resident's garden.

Ditto from Bognor a couple of weeks ago. They are now very happy in their bird box in one of our trees in the garden.

And the idea of people closing up their bird boxes is completely ridiculous. There will be hundreds of birds around the country with nowhere to nest. We are supposed to be helping our wildlife not hindering it. :mad:

Think i have killer green fly, best go and hack my garden down before they attack the dog:nature-smiley-011:

I think these are Tree Bee Bumble Bees. A European new comer, that first turned up in 2001.

I'd add a picture of a friends birdbox, if I was a little more computer literate!!

I think these are Tree Bee Bumble Bees. A European new comer, that first turned up in 2001.

I'd add a picture of a friends birdbox, if I was a little more computer literate!!

Right, lets try again after a look through the FAQ section!

Nice pics, and as you're still with us, presumabubbly they aren't THAT lethal..........:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back