Sussex Courses?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can make it to the auction in Yalding, you might be able to make it as far as Sittingbourne for the Kent courses! :)

My work regularly takes me down that way - link?

R2

I started a thread on "Kent Courses" ... (its currently right below this one) ... with links, etc :)

I haven't got info about the next batch of courses, yet. (I'll post it when I do.)
The only one currently booking is on wax. (Skep-making having booked solid instantly.)
/ Wax processing is on Sunday morning, 14th October.

/// Seemingly GoDaddy hosted domains are under attack from hackers tonight - according to the BBC website.
And the Canterbury Association website, which has details/bookings for the Sittingbourne courses, is hosted by GoDaddy, and not accessible at this particular moment.

Last edited:
Beware about college courses.
Colleges have a policy of 'flying a kite' - they advertise courses, see how many sign up for them and if not viable, then cancel the course. Had this several times at work for apprentices that we have been running which is very annoying. Sussex Downs and Sussex Coast Colleges are notorious for this.

Plumpton College runs courses as well both at Brighton and at Netherfield near Battle.
Beekeeping Taster Day

Intermediate Beekeeping Skills

Introduction to Beekeeping Theory at Plumpton or Stanmer

Practical Beekeeping for Beginners at Plumpton or Stanmer

If you are in East Sussex, you should contact the local Association Secretary to you and see what they are doing. They may still be makig plans but could let you know in due course.

I have heard about courses in Tenterden in Kent which are run by Nick Mengham, try the KBKA Weald Division (http://www.kentbee.com/kbka/branches/weald/index.shtml)

Last edited:
High Weald group have an excellent course run by Keith Obbard at Groombridge. I did it in2011. One Saturday afternoon a month from March to September. They take about fifteen people, have an apiary with 10 plus hives, split you into groups of about three people, each with an experienced beekeeper and get you hands on after a couple of theory sessions. Also the High Weald group have lots going on , informal pub evenings, apiary visits etc if you want those things.

Off topic - out of interest do you use a Training Provider for your apprentices?

Yes we do. In the last case this was Sussex Down College who provided a Tutor to come to the site to deliver the training and did the rest by work books and other paper methods by post. We did a chef's one and a housekeeping one by this method after we found signing people up to 'college courses' was a waste of time as the courses never ran. This system seems to work quite well for NVQ and similar levels.

Latest posts

Back