Suspected double swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Dear experts,
I’ve been unable to monitor my hives for a couple of weeks. Last time I checked there was plenty of space, brood, stores with year one queens in both.
Today in hive one, no queen a single capped QC and reduced brood. Plenty of stores and space.
Hive two has a new queen with zero brood, eggs and larva. A full super and a another being drawn and filled.
Both hives are on a brood and a half system and seem to be little reduction in numbers. Although, two weeks ago they were crammed full of bees and brood.
So, am I correct in assuming they have both swarmed and what do I need to do now please.
Concerned of Banwell.

on a brood and a half system
Memo for next year: use double broods.

The more space the queen has leading up to the June solstice the less likely she is to run out of laying space, and consequently the colony is less likely to swarm.

Brood & half is neither here nor there: be bold and give real space earlier in the season. If that means triple brood, so be it.

Follow the needs of bees, not a format that satisfies the beekeeper.

Just to update you on the double swarm situation.
- Hive one (no Q, loads of brood and capped QC)
Queen has emerged with no sign of her. No remaining brood and down on stores. Pretty much where Hive 2 was last week.
- Hive two (new Q but no brood)
Queen not seen but has laid three frames of brood already. Good stores and plenty of space.
I’m now optimistic that H1 will pick up as H2 and all will be back to production in the near future 🤞🏼

Just to update you on the double swarm situation.
- Hive one (no Q, loads of brood and capped QC)
Queen has emerged with no sign of her. No remaining brood and down on stores. Pretty much where Hive 2 was last week.
- Hive two (new Q but no brood)
Queen not seen but has laid three frames of brood already. Good stores and plenty of space.
I’m now optimistic that H1 will pick up as H2 and all will be back to production in the near future 🤞🏼
Dear Experts,
Things appear to have taken another twist!
Both Hives 1&2 are now queenless again.
H1 has loads of bees and stores but no brood at all.
H2 has similar with the addition of two frames of brood and loads of queen cells.
I’m now at a loss and desperately want to save both colonies.
What should I do now please.

OK, so after some research I don’t think I have time to give either hive the opportunity to requeen.
I think I need to bite the bullet and buy a couple of queens.
Would this be the best solution?
I look forward to your comments.

I bet there's a queen in Hive #1 yet to come into lay - introducing a new queen in there means her certain death
As for hive#2 do the QCs look like they could EQCs or just bog standard swarm cells? either way, you could make them hopelessly queenless and introduce a new queen

I bet there's a queen in Hive #1 yet to come into lay - introducing a new queen in there means her certain death
As for hive#2 do the QCs look like they could EQCs or just bog standard swarm cells? either way, you could make them hopelessly queenless and introduce a new queen
So, leave Hive 1 and check in a few days?

Hive 2 has some very healthy looking QCs sporadically arranged across several frames.
Should I trim down to one or two QCs or just let them sort themselves out.

Either way, time is of the essence no?

Thank you for your valued support.

So, leave Hive 1 and check in a few days?

Hive 2 has some very healthy looking QCs sporadically arranged across several frames.
Should I trim down to one or two QCs or just let them sort themselves out.

Either way, time is of the essence no?

Thank you for your valued support.
Give hive #1 a week at least and reduce the QCs down to one

Hive 2 reduced to one QC removed more than twenty?
Leaving Hive 1 as suggested and will check in on both again at the weekend.
🤞🏼
Keep you posted.
If there was no more open brood in hive #2 I would leave well alone now for a good month

If there was no more open brood in hive #2 I would leave well alone now for a good month
I assume no uncapped brood cells, yes?
Sorry, I just want to be absolutely sure I’m understanding you fully to give them the best chance of revival.
Should I inspect Hive 1 for laying action at the weekend?
Second year blues eh….

I assume no uncapped brood cells, yes?
Sorry, I just want to be absolutely sure I’m understanding you fully to give them the best chance of revival.
Should I inspect Hive 1 for laying action at the weekend?
Second year blues eh….
If there is no chance of them making any more QC's (which I doubt there is) leave them alone for at least a month
no harm in letting hive #1 alone for another week again either.

Reactions: BBC

Latest posts

Back