"Survivor bees" found in Blenheim Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks, Yesterday I got an email from GiffGaff (mobile phone provider) spreading the myth about the Blenheim bees. I have replied to them telling them it’s a fairy story. It just shows that “a good lie goes round the world before the truth gets out of bed”

And the beginners should be encouraged in their stupidness?
No, they should be put on the right track politely, acknowledging that there may be alternative right answers, not
Could you list these comments that require a smack in the mouth pls.

belittled because they use a screwdriver instead of a hive tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, Phil.

Would be a good idea to pause before posting and consider whether the words written would end a pub conversation or fuel it.

PS: I've used all sorts as a hive tool.

No, they should be put on the right track politely, acknowledging that there may be alternative right answers, not

Phil, you were the one that suggested violence. Ian is just asking which comments you would hit someone for saying face to face. doesn't sound an unreasonable question.

as for hives toll usage, when one gets to an out apiary, and a conventional hive tool has gone missing, anything in the back of the car will do

I use a screwdriver as a hive tool at times. I promise not to belittle myself:cool:

I use a screwdriver as a hive tool at times. I promise not to belittle myself:cool:
I still have the first hive tool I ever bought - its about four years old !! In the past I always used an old broken putty knife, Ive still got that lying around somewhere.

I think that

I still have the first hive tool I ever bought - its about four years old !! In the past I always used an old broken putty knife, Ive still got that lying around somewhere.

I use sometimes wooden stick, if I have forgotten better tools home. Hive tools are not a problem. But you must tell it politely.

Hi Phil I’ve no idea who the beginners who have been insulted are in this thread, perhaps I’ve missed something. The hero of these articles claims plenty of experience more to the point!! In my opinion the rubbish they contain is liable to cause normal beeks issues!! I don’t believe there are any alternative right answers in these articles. Perhaps you could point them out?

Not sure who or when any belittled you for using a screw driver. I’ve resorted to all sorts in the past inc screw drivers when I’ve forgotten/ lost the literally dozens I do own. Not entirely sure that warrants a smack in the mouth though😂any other examples.?

Really bad tool. Do not use. When you try to loose full honey box, knife will break. And dangerous to use. It klips your fingers like scissors. ... just from experience.
I've still got all my fingers and I've been using it for the last 7 years 😊. They say a bad workman always blames his tool! 😀

Reactions: mbc
I've quite often use my "waiter" Swiss Army knife as a hive tool! My kids regularly give the knives to me for birthdays and Xmas as I loose them as often as the hive tools!

https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Waiter/p/0.3303

A Victorinox for restaurant staff. Comes complete with all tools to open the customer's drinks, delicately remove the fly from their soup, allow them to extricate food material from between their teeth and to make sure they both pay the bill and leave a hefty tip. Or else.

• Haha
Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back