"Survivor bees" found in Blenheim Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After periods of bad weather I’ve gone into hives and you’ll find bees literally sitting on the cells holding virgins in. As soon as you disturb the frames you have virgins popping out all over the place😂

What is the meaning of virging's peeping to each other? When the swarm leaves, all mature virgins come out from queen cells. I can easily catch 10- 15 mature queen from combs and they are all peeping.

It is clear, that workers cannot keep the virgin inside by sitting on the cap. Gravity draws workers downwards, not against the cap.

Perhaps workers are sitting and keeping the cell warm. It is strange that the queen cells do not catch cold when they are hanging towards the floor, are the weathers what ever.

Last edited:
First swarm leaves with old laying queen, when first queen cells are capped.

After a week first swarm cells start to emerge. First virgin emerge and it runs on the combs and peeps.
Other virgins stay inside their cells. They peep inside the cells. They have a small pin size hole in the cap, from where workers can feed the virgins.

Virgins stay inside the cells 2-3 days, and they are ready to flye, when they come out.

When the cast leaves, the rest virgins come out and start to kill each other. And to kill the rest queens cells too.
Got the first (old) queen bit and I knew about the sisterly love between new-emerging queens, but you haven't answered the query regarding multiple queens in a swarm?

Got the first (old) queen bit and I knew about the sisterly love between new-emerging queens, but you haven't answered the query regarding multiple queens in a swarm?

I answered allready. I answered that you see the multiple queens when the swarm has landed. The queens fly to the swarm, not controversy. Multiple queens are not rare.

I answered allready. I answered that you see the multiple queens when the swarm has landed. The queens fly to the swarm, not controversy. Multiple queens are not rare.
REally? The multiple queens fly TO a swarm when it has landed? Landed where? ...you have completely lost me here...

if he was on an island maybe but highly unlikely in Blenheim. This fella just wants his 15mins of fame
Whilst being a little provocative, I wasn't suggesting they'd not met other bees, but that they were perhaps physiologically unable to cross breed. Over the course of the years I've come across a good number of ferral colonies disturbed during tree felling. Very few of them looked like my mongrels. Maybe there actually is a sub-species out there that hasn't been properly observed before.
I'm slightly saddened by the disparaging tone in some of the comments on here. Discussion shouldn't be tinged with belittling. We all have different experiences, different depths of knowledge and in different areas and specialities. My mother's boyfriend (in his late 80's and keeping bees since he was 7) said that he saw something new pretty much every week - he had over 200 hives around the county. I'm amazed at the superior tones adopted by some on here. Putting people down doesn't encourage discussion or the sharing of experience.

Now you're just being a tad offensive.
You'll get used to it
REally? The multiple queens fly TO a swarm when it has landed? Landed where? ...you have completely lost me here...
What finny means that often swarms contain multiple queens - they fly with the swarm and are there when it lands.
Sometimes you will see a swarm break up when landing and you end up with multiple small clusters, this sometimes happens as the queens and a few workers split up into separate mini clusters.

You'll get used to it

What finny means that often swarms contain multiple queens - they fly with the swarm and are there when it lands.
Sometimes you will see a swarm break up when landing and you end up with multiple small clusters, this sometimes happens as the queens and a few workers split up into separate mini clusters.
Thanks for the clarification. Not seen that before - and that was the question I was asking.

Latest posts

Back