"Survivor bees" found in Blenheim Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxfordshire - Varroa was first Identified by a Beefarmer in 1992 I think so the chances they haven’t got it are slim at best
do they have bee farmers in Oxfordshire? this cove seems to think that it's devoid of managed colonies

I think we can assume he has varroa,he lost 80% of his tolerant bees a year or 2 ago😉
Hmm, according to some 'master' beekeepers he's a 'very experienced and competent' beekeeper, I think they missed out an India and November there somehow.

When you see an article like this and you realise how many hives, breeders and how much money is involved, you soon realise how far behind we are in this country. Particularly when some are looking for resistant bees in trees AAAS

Last edited:
I do not know about Varroa tolerance in the Blenheim bees. I do know that the local BKA have had an outbreak of foul brood in their nearby apiary in the last few years and that their are several honey producers locally. Honey from a supplier in Islip, less than 5 km from Blenheim, as the bee flies, is on sale in a food outlet in Bicester.

The High Park part of the Blenheim estate, where the ancient oak woods are, is in the southern part of the park, about half way between Woodstock and Long Hanborough. I know there are beekeepers in the latter, which is about 2km away, but there are beekeepers scattered all over Oxforshire, just like anywhere else. IF there is something keeping these colonies in some degree of genetic isolation, it is not distance

The High Park part of the Blenheim estate, where the ancient oak woods are, is in the southern part of the park, about half way between Woodstock and Long Hanborough. I know there are beekeepers in the latter, which is about 2km away, but there are beekeepers scattered all over Oxforshire, just like anywhere else. IF there is something keeping these colonies in some degree of genetic isolation, it is not distance

So why are there any small black bee colonies down in the woods when the external pressure of yellow, vigorous genetics is so strong? Do they have their own DCAs in the magical oak land glades protected by sinister damp valleys?

This picture from his own just giving page appears to show normal Heinz 57 bees to me. I’m sure he’d be a little more selective in those sent for testing!
1636457296483.jpeg

So why are there any small black bee colonies down in the woods when the external pressure of yellow, vigorous genetics is so strong? Do they have their own DCAs in the magical oak land glades protected by sinister damp valleys?
I think exactly that has been mooted that black virgins mate with black drones but yellow ones mate with both black and yellow. Aren’t black quuens supposed to avail themselves of AVM ?

Now stop it hes clearly suggested to the reporter there’s humid valleys keeping the bees separate🐝💩🐝
The only humid valley I can sense is the one between a bull's rear cheeks

I think exactly that has been mooted that black virgins mate with black drones but yellow ones mate with both black and yellow. Aren’t black quuens supposed to avail themselves of AVM ?
Had to look up Apiary Vicinity Mating. What aristocratic bees these are. Did someone say inbred?

Latest posts

Back