"Survivor bees" found in Blenheim Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But Creamed Honey is not an official description listed in the Honey Regs so sellers could fall foul of local TS interpretation.
The Honey Regs allow for topographical and plant source information, in addition to the 'official descriptions'. As James confirms, less well-known is this further category of additional permitted information: specific quality criteria. So, theoretically, IMO, it is legal (if true) to describe a honey as Kent Borage Creamed Honey. :)

Specific quality criteria is more clearly spelt out in EU Reg 1169, 7 (1): Food information shall not be misleading, particularly... by suggesting that the food possesses special characteristics when in fact all similar foods possess such characteristics...'

I'm aware that the idea that 'creamed' is not a permitted term has been around for a long time. I can't find anything to confirm that it has actually ever been banned.

But if creamed is not on the permitted list it shouldn’t be on the label……..it doesn’t have to be specifically banned……..just saying!!!

But if creamed is not on the permitted list it shouldn’t be on the label……..it doesn’t have to be specifically banned……..just saying!!!

But there is no list of "specific quality criteria" as far as I am aware. The regs just say that you can add such a description as part of the product name, over and above those names that are defined in the regs. So "Crunchy Somerset Honey" may well conform to the regs for example, if the honey so labelled is indeed crunchy and from Somerset.

James

But there is no list of "specific quality criteria" as far as I am aware. The regs just say that you can add such a description as part of the product name, over and above those names that are defined in the regs. So "Crunchy Somerset Honey" may well conform to the regs for example, if the honey so labelled is indeed crunchy and from Somerset.

James
Ah, but are you intimating that your crunchy honey is better than my smooth honey??? 😄

James

:iagree:

Creamed is an interesting term.....has for some years now been used as an interchangeable expression for soft set or smooth set...neither of which actually require creaming. The actual creaming of honey...as in using a creamer to disturb the crystal formation and break it up so it no longer 'locks' into set honey...is not that common and does result in a product a little less shelf stable as the smashed up crystal matrix allows for some moisture migration, and can...over a protracted period...lead to some separation.

Whatever...it does not need to be on the label...its kind of obvious just from looking at it....

Most hobbyists just want honesty and equality over labeling. They are not trying to compete with mass marketing sales.
Is that price of 1.7 pounds for a 340g jar?
That means about 5 euros per kilo, which is the price you usually find in supermarkets in Spain for honey of extra-European origin.
Perhaps in the UK you are in a more critical situation since the price of honey for a consumer is one of the highest in Europe, so the use of labels is more common to differentiate yourself in an open and competitive market.
No,Fian, it's between £1.60 and £1.70 for a 454g jar.

Whatever...it does not need to be on the label...its kind of obvious just from looking at it....
Can you always tell by looking? I've bought what I thought was a smooth soft set only to find later that it was naturally set and spoon bendingly hard.

Creamed is an interesting term.....has for some years now been used as an interchangeable expression for soft set or smooth set
Interestingly I asked the Irish Food Standards & Dept of Agriculture about the use of soft-set/creamed a few years ago. The response was that "Soft-set" was allowed as a descriptive term, but that "Creamed" was not since it could be considered misleading because of the risk of misinterpretation.

Can you always tell by looking? I've bought what I thought was a smooth soft set only to find later that it was naturally set and spoon bendingly hard.
Possibly sometimes not.....I always look for asilky streaking in it where the air bubbles at filling time have risen out leaving a vertical and subtle pattern..only happens when the crystals are very small and fine and they align along the tracks left by the bubbles...its always a really good sign.

'Frosting' is a no no for the honey being soft.

But would agree with you that sometimes you cannot tell, and even less so if it is being looked at by an inexperienced eye, like your average non beekeeper customer.

Made the same mistake I have cast up to others. You have to put your beekeepers eye/taste/mindset aside at times and view things as if you are not.

Thanks for the link
I made this. It really is good
View attachment 35472
SWMBO makes it all the time, it's the only honey she'll consume, waits until I'm bottling up a batch and fills a jar with lemon and ginger for me to top off with honey

SWMBO makes it all the time, it's the only honey she'll consume, waits until I'm bottling up a batch and fills a jar with lemon and ginger for me to top off with honey
Previously I've just added honey and kept it in the fridge but this time it's been in the warm kitchen for two weeks and it really is nicer

Back