Survived Irene In Vermont.(pic heavy)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbush

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
0-30 at any given time
Well we are still alive. We left Connecticut and retreated to Vermont to get away from the coast, and VT got it worse then CT did. We are high and dry, but the roads in and out are gone. Back in 1927 the New England area got hit by a flood which killed 58 people and destroyed 9000 homes. That was the high water mark for this area, this flood did not kill as many or destroy as many homes, but the water came up higher. The official height above flood stage was 20.6 ft.

We are running on a generator and have enough fuel to last about 6 days, the utilities crossing the river are wiped out and the utility companies cannot get to this side of the river until the bridges are fixed.

I'm trying to think of something worse than this and I can't - only a parallel with war, perhaps.
So sorry, Sugarbush - just glad to hear you and yours are OK.

Glad you're OK and still able to communicate. Hopefully not too long until you can re-join the world.

The steel bridges were put in after the 27 flood, they can handle the water, but the approaches gave out.

I've been following this on the news and thought of you.
Glad you and family are OK
How are the hives?
Will the storm get rid of Mr Bear or is he in the freezer already?

Hives are high and dry, bear still on the loose as far as we know.

Hi SB. I work in hydrometry and regularly see the effects of heavy rainfall but your pictures and description were enough to make me gasp.

Hang on in there!

We are going to attempt to head back to CT on Saturday. Probably will have to make use of some of the old stage coach roads which are rough but still intact.

I plan to get out and take more photos today.

And to think when the windblows near my house the electricity cuts out!

Good luck hope your bees are still dry

glad to hear you are safe and well, I have family in Conneticut , hope they are okay too, it looks awful there and I moaned about being cooler today !

I put up more pics today, started this album so they upload faster. The way the town's people have pulled together to get through this is amazing. Farm tractors out fixing roads and plowing mud out of peoples drives. Local eateries hosting free BBQs on the town square. 4x4 clubs joined up with fire departments to haul fuel, food, and water into houses cut off by flood waters. Utility Companies have come down from Canada to help put us back on line.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/smithie128/Hurricane Irene/

The picture with the trout is me; I pulled it out of the corn field and put it back in the river.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back