Support the Gurkhas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
none better, all they want and need is your signatures!:cheers2:

Just given my support, I have worked with these men, and they are wonderful people.

It is disgusting that we the British public are even having to do this, when there are others that can not even get off the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx but still claim more in benefits than most hard working people do.

Maybe fighting for your country should be added to the application list for citizenship and maybe even just to get the dole!

I have signed up and sent my friends a message to sign the petition too.

copy of email received this morning -

Thank you so much for your support of the Gurkha Justice campaign. We are overwhelmed by the support the campaign is receiving.

As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas. The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage.

I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now.

This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg.

Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again.

We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so?

You can send a message to your MP directly at http://www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support.

If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future.

Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

That this is even up for debate, let alone requiring a petition is an absolute disgrace.

For all that we like to finger point and snigger at a lot about the USA, at least they exchange service in their armed forces as a fast track method for citizenship.

Here, and with a regiment that can justly claim to be one of the elite within the British armed forces, we've treated the Gurkhas despicably in recent years. We've fought equality in their rates of pay and pensions and done our damndest to make sure they aren't stationed in the UK to thwart their desire to live in a country that they've served with distinction. This five point plan might just as well have a clause that you must have lived on the moon for a while.

Same here, terrible miscarriage.

I once heard a story of a guy who lived near Windsor who was working in his garden when he was touched on the shoulder by a gurka. The gurka had walked across a gravel path making no sound to ask the homeowner for a drink.

I would have thought that service in the Gurkas should give immediate citizenship.

am I allowed to sign more than once? I did this last year, and get the updates regularly in my in-box.

Its disgraceful that we even have to fight for this - it makes my blood boil, I wont go on.....:(

vcheroes.jpg

This refers to the gentleman on the left of the photograph-

Honorary Lieutenant (QGO) Tulbahadur Pun VC's citation reads:

'In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it. So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man.

'The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur (sic) Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him.

'With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees. Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupants. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective. His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.'

and the gentleman on the right -

" On 12/13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma, Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was manning the most forward post of his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the enemy. Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded, but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly waiting for each attack which he met with fire at point-blank range.
Additional information: He had only been with his battalion for two months when he was involved at Taungdaw as a member of the 9th Platoon of C company.
87 of the enemy dead were killed by C company. 31 were dead in front of Lachhiman Gurung's position. He is reported as shouting "Come and fight. Come and fight. I will kill you." at the end of the battle, exhausted, he said, "I wanted to kill some Japanese before I Died on."
On a parade on the 19th of December 1945, he was the only living soldier to be presented with the VC by Lord Louis Mountbatten, who presented five other VCs and one GC that day, all posthumously. Lachhiman Gurung and his family, who had been specially invited, were feted by Field Marshall Wavell"

I was delighted to hear that the Government was defeated on their shabby deal for the Gurkhas.
In the 70's I was providing helicopter support to the RMA Sandhurst cadets on their final exercise before passing out. It was supposed to be a 5 day exercise but had to be restarted after 12 hours because at dawn on day one the company 100 cadets only had 10 rifles between them and didn't have a clue who had taken their weapons - their "enemy" were the Gurkhas - nuff said.
:cheers2: Mike

Back