Supplying honey in bulk ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
I have been asked by a seller of honey would I be interested in selling all my honey in bulk ,
As I am very busy in work I would prefer to off load my honey in one go as it would cut out the hassle of jarring and dropping off to people and shops ect ,
He asked me to come back to him with a price per pound,what would be a fair percentage for both parties. a jar of summer and spring honey supplied to shops here is usually around €9.00 a pound .

going price at the moment is about £3.50 a pound I think, doubtful it will go up much but with the mixed stories on poor harvests this year, certainly won't go down.

I have been asked by a seller of honey would I be interested in selling all my honey in bulk ,
As I am very busy in work I would prefer to off load my honey in one go as it would cut out the hassle of jarring and dropping off to people and shops ect ,
He asked me to come back to him with a price per pound,what would be a fair percentage for both parties. a jar of summer and spring honey supplied to shops here is usually around €9.00 a pound .

He's making good money on that, start at half that and be prepared to drop a little but not much.

I guess that's the retail price; what's price do you sell bottled honey to the shop?£6? If you can get close to Hachi's £4.50 it would be worth it.
I think HJL in Salop is selling at 4.50 a lb all day long.

£150 a bucket for a single 30lbs
I've sold locally.

I guess that's the retail price; what's price do you sell bottled honey to the shop?£6? If you can get close to Hachi's £4.50 it would be worth it.
From 4.50 to 5.00 a half pound

He asked me to come back to him with a price per pound,what would be a fair percentage for both parties. ...
It depends partly on how much honey you’re selling in bulk. You can sell one 30lb drum at a higher price per pound than, say, twenty 30lb drums, or forty or more. It also depends on whether it is OSR, blossom, or heather.

It depends partly on how much honey you’re selling in bulk. You can sell one 30lb drum at a higher price per pound than, say, twenty 30lb drums, or forty or more. It also depends on whether it is OSR, blossom, or heather.
This year its mostly heather

a jar of summer and spring honey supplied to shops here is usually around €9.00 a pound .

Looking at it from the buyers point of view selling for €9.00
Subtract jars, lids and labels. Time spent jarring up, and then coping with crystalised honey.
Plus needing to make a profit.
I would be expecting the beekeeper to get £4 a pound.
Certainly no less than £3.50

Looking at it from the Beekeepers point of view.
12 months labour costs.
Cost of hive, frames, wax, uncapping equipment etc.
Winter feed and varroa treatment.
Insurances.
Car maintenance and petrol.
I could go on
I would be expecting the beekeeper to get £10 a pound !

This year its mostly heather
:iagree: with both comments, Heather is worth more than any other honey. Almost twice as much in these parts.
Talking about osr, blossom, wildflower, they are sold the same price.

I've seen bulk blossom honey for sale from £3 per lb to £3.50 per lb.
I currently sell mine at £3.40 per lb in 30lb buckets.
A lot say getting over £3.20 per lb is good.
Then of course you get some hobby beekeepers that are happy to sell honey for next to nothing, cheapest I have seen is £2.50 per lb in a jar labelled.

Since keeping bees I notice Beekeepers honey prices seldom change.
Possibly because we are reluctant to add a few pennies to the price in the same way a supermarket would.
Maybe the thought of having to provide lots of small change is too much of a headache.
So our prices remain static whilst supermarket creep up a few pence year by year.

If you want to increase your honey prices set things up so that you can take payment by debit card.
People paying by card see a different value to their money

Since keeping bees I notice Beekeepers honey prices seldom change.

Daft, isn't it? It would be equally true (and frustrating) to say that beekeepers seldom change.

Reckon many don't keep bees for honey and sell it cheap to get shot of the nuisance quickly; others are nervous of putting up the price for fear of not selling and having to take it home again; some just aren't aware of what to charge and don't think to ask; a dwindling few have sold cheap since 1956 and are content with the pitiful return.

Anyone who sells low pulls down the price and perception of value for the rest of us. If you see a beekeeper selling at £2.50/lb as Nige reported, buy the whole stock and sell it at a proper price.

If you want to increase your honey prices set things up so that you can take payment by debit card. People paying by card see a different value to their money.

Yes, good move. Some markets are card-only these days; I use an iZettle and take about 80% by card; since C19 it's seen as the safest method of payment.

I agree: card payment is invisible payment and persuades the customer to buy more than they would with cash.

Then of course you get some hobby beekeepers that are happy to sell honey for next to nothing, cheapest I have seen is £2.50 per lb in a jar labelled.
I am a hobby beekeeper and I sell 227g jars of Blossom Honey for £4.25 to 2 outlets, I thought that was reasonable.
They sell it on for £6.50 and it’s been flying off their shelves.

When I manage to produce some comb honey I was thinking of selling it to the outlets for 3.5p per gram net weight....is this too cheap?

My pal in Fife told me yesterday that some are “importing” honey in their suitcase from a visit home in places in the Eastern bloc.
Apparently they add 30% locally produced honey to this “imported” honey and then jar it up and label as Local Honey, produced in Fife....surely this is the route to hell in a handcart?

Last edited:
I am a hobby beekeeper and I sell 227g jars of Blossom Honey for £4.25 to 2 outlets, I thought that was reasonable.
They sell it on for £6.50 and it’s been flying off their shelves.

When I manage to produce some comb honey I was thinking of selling it to the outlets for 3.5p per gram net weight....is this too cheap?

Interesting Speybee, I am increasingly asked if I sell cut comb and was going to start production next season. I too am interested in the price if anyone can offer any advice please?

If it’s Heather it would be more expensive.
I worked out my price by trawling the internet and for example I saw several English producers selling 180g comb ( not Heather) at £9 to public so I worked that out, to be 5p per gram net weight.
A profit margin to retailer of around 40%, hence my trade price of 3.5p per gram net weight comb.

I was taken aback by the retailers selling on my jarred blossom honey at £6.50 and it’s been flying off the shelves with repeat custom.
Just hope I get a good crop next season.

Thanks SB. It wont be heather. what size jar for £6.50?

Thanks SB. It wont be heather. what size jar for £6.50?
I sold my 227g net weight jars to an outlet at a trade price of £4.25 each which was 1.9p per gram ( allowing the retailer to make a profit) and this retailer has it flying off his shelves, at £6.50 per jar which works out at 2.8p per gram net weight.

Don’t be tempted to sell on a Sale or Return Basis.
You sell it to the outlet...end of.
I did not mix or blend the honey outwith the hive, instead I jarred it as a single hive extraction, with its own Lot number for that single extraction.

The taste is really intense and the customers have picked up on that.
If you want to compare what us selling in your locality divide the cost ( in pence) of the jar contents by the net weight in grams.
Eg. £6.50= 650p divided by 227= 2.8p per gram net weight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back