Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

beebreeder 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots
Having read the Thread re Bakers Fondant that is at present 130 posts long it occured to me that: When I opened my account with Bako Western they were keen to set up some sort of supplier network as they do not supply small orders.
I have checked with Admin re Advertising and this is purely for information only to be used if required as fondant is not economic to post.
Could we start a list of those that stock 12.5 kg boxes of fondant and are willing to pass on to "local" forum members.
If you add your name please give a reasonably good location not the county you live in.
Myself Salisbury area Wilts.
Alter as you see fit admin

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I think it's just the fact they cannot let people just walk in and buy a block or two a year that's the problem - I've enrolled my BKA with BAKO (it is a baker's cooperative so technically West Glamorgan BKA is now also a bakery!)Our first order was half a ton (which we picked up as the apiary is only half a mile away) so now there is little problem in popping down and picking up the odd box (as most small bakeries do) next summer I shall also be enquiring as to the price of sugar (in 25 kilo bags naturally). So maybe if all BKA's got their act together and put in one bulk order a year they would be happy - we just emailed all the members for their order and met them all at the apiary on a Sunday morning.

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I have had an account/shareholder thing with BAKO for many years,and buy several tons of fondant, plus other products from them every year, and they send me a dividend chq back each year....but they definitely don't class my buisness as no bakery.

Last edited:

Easy Beesy 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Our local BAKO has no problem selling to individuals. And we're very grateful to them.

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
There isn't a huge difference, if any, in price between BAKO and the imported Ambrosia syrup and fondant. In greater quantities bought in bulk via ones local BKA, discounts are negotiable too. The specific benefit of Ambrosia syrup and fondant as I see it is that it is specifically formulated for bees. BAKO simply ain't - it's primarily for cake making. If you really care for your bees, Ambrosia products must be better than BAKO.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
There isn't a huge difference, if any, in price between BAKO and the imported Ambrosia syrup and fondant. .
Nope - at nearly twice the price, hardly any differesnce.
And as for not being that good for the bees - that's the majority of us in the wrong then

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
I have been trying to join the BAKO in the south west. I travel down there regularly with work and have access to a van.

I have been in touch with the chap for our area, but his communication is shockingly bad.I do nothing but chase... chase... chase.

still trying to find out where and how to pay my £100! (do they want my money and business?!?)

'if' I get over this hurdle, I will do a shout out to the beekeepers in the area and see if anyone wants any. (as per the foundation in the wiltshirish area topic last year)

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
maybe even easier?

Bako South East has a register for the mailing list

... first order by phone

.... online orders after that

... and free delivery for orders over £50 (UK Mainland only!).

unless it rains much more, I qualify for UK mainland! a phonecall later today, I think!

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Nope - at nearly twice the price, hardly any differesnce.
And as for not being that good for the bees - that's the majority of us in the wrong then
Sarcasm unjustified. I think I know well enough what BAKO costs and I also know for a fact that it is EMPHATICALLY NOT primarily formulated for bees. Sorry you aren't aware of that fact. As for the cost, I get Ambrosia fondant through my BKA at £3 per 2.5kg pack, £15 for a box of 5 and it IS EMPHATICALLY formulated solely for bees. So................................ suggest you join a better BKA if you belong at all?

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
suggest you join a better BKA if you belong at all?
Suggest you read my original post where I enrolled my BKA with Bako.
Lucky you getting your Ambrosia fondant that cheap, with the quantities we'd order we wouldn't get it anywhere near that price (with deliveries etc.)
But i say again there's nothing wrong with using baker's fondant.
Sugar isn't Emphatically for bees but most of us feed it to them.
Suggest you temper your ire a bit :)

dpearce4 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Sarcasm unjustified. I think I know well enough what BAKO costs and I also know for a fact that it is EMPHATICALLY NOT primarily formulated for bees. Sorry you aren't aware of that fact. As for the cost, I get Ambrosia fondant through my BKA at £3 per 2.5kg pack, £15 for a box of 5 and it IS EMPHATICALLY formulated solely for bees. So................................ suggest you join a better BKA if you belong at all?
I would be interested to see the full ingredient list and processing method for both. At present i make my own but will next year not be able to make the amount i may need.

At present i feel the bako one is as good as the ambrosia, infact better as its cheaper. I would be happy to be proved wrong though.

beebreeder 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots
Could we start a list of those that stock 12.5 kg boxes of fondant and are willing to pass on to "local" forum members.
If you add your name please give a reasonably good location not the county you live in.

Got that wrong I guess, all I wanted to do was form a list of those willing to help out forum members with their needs in fondant without having to open a Bako account, very short list I guess. Sorry

The Cumbrian 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
I know this isn't actually what the thread wants but I got my fondant from my local independent baker. I asked her to get me fondant and told her what is was for. I know exactly what you want she said. When it arrived it was Fondabee at £13 for 12.5 KG

That seems easier and reasonably cheap to me.

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Why buy from bako direct. I have a little bakers that bake their own cakes. I asked nicely and all I have to do is go in order a box. They ring me later in the week after their delivery and sell it to me for what it cost them. I buy a couple of cream buns while I am in there as a thank you and a jar of honey doesn't go amiss. All you have to do is ask, bakers are helpful souls !
E

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots

Got that wrong I guess, all I wanted to do was form a list of those willing to help out forum members with their needs in fondant without having to open a Bako account, very short list I guess. Sorry
I am at that point of beekeeping where making fondant is not really practical. I made it for the LAST time last year. I used a cement mixer, but did turn out as well as I hoped.

This year, I hope to join Bako and have two drops. One in early December and one in early January.
If the website is right and free delivery is correct, I have no problems with pinning othet peoples deliverys onto my order.
2 years ago, I could not warrant spending £100 for membership to buy £100 worth of fondant. A forum member helped me out.
I am happy to help forum members that is in the same position as I was.

I did a similar thing with foundation last year to buy in bulk and get free delivery, and a number of members set up a transportation network, although i travel a bit with work anyway.

I think I am not far from you. I live a few miles from Malmesbury

Cheers
Pete

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Suggest you temper your ire a bit :)
No question of any ire - just pointing out that people who embroider claims based on erroneous "facts" are not to be treated with any seriousness. Ambrosia is NOT twice the price where I and many others in other BKAs get it. Pallet load at a time for a product that does not deteriorate and which is probably identical to Apifonda (available from Wynne Jones) must be better than making do with BAKO. It is clear that many like you prefer to go cheap rather than quality . Depends on how much one values ones bees imho. Sadly your BKA must be very small, so co-ordinate a bulk buy with an adjacent BKA? My BKA has a mere 85 members approx. whereas you have 2 BKAs in Carmarthen alone with others in S Wales not that far distant either. Do you not speak to each other in Wales? Also, please stop being rude or saracastic- it ain't what this forum is about.

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sorry arfermo - but it's your posts that are excessively aggresive so far with attacks on me personally, my BKA and the Welsh in general take a deep breath fy ngwas i

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
Sorry arfermo - but it's your posts that are excessively aggresive so far with attacks on me personally, my BKA and the Welsh in general take a deep breath fy ngwas i
I do not understand where you are coming from at all. I have attacked nobody, not even you nor "the Welsh in general". For goodness sake let it rest. Pace.

DanBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
The specific benefit of Ambrosia syrup and fondant as I see it is that it is specifically formulated for bees. BAKO simply ain't - it's primarily for cake making. If you really care for your bees, Ambrosia products must be better than BAKO.
I'm not wishing to fan the flames, but what is it specifically about Ambrosia that you feel differentiates it so strongly from baker's fondant?

Latest posts