supplier for Extruded poly "styrofoam" needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I have found some drawings on www for micro/mini nucs which are made from extruded polystyrene so I need a supplier.

need 8x4x 1/2 inch sheet extruded polystyrene (styrofoam )local to s/staffs W/mids or online with delivery.

I am sure one of the DIY stores should have it but I am having trouble finding some
Thanks in anticipation :cheers2:

Hi

Thanks Mike , a little too far out but have managed to source this now, can be purchased through Jewsons, 600 mm x3000 mm x 20 mm @ £6.99 +vat collected if anyone needs any ,

the mini nuc /mating box details are here, http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46&PN=1

(Hope this is ok with admin as link to another forum)

cutting sheet and sizes need to be ammended slightly as sheet size and thickness is different but should be of use to someone ,

should be making some up over the next few weeks so will let you know how i get on

Mark

I new straight away what website that link would be for as I was looking last winter at stuff to make with some plans online.

The guy has a few interesting things on there,its a shame it looks like he gave up on the site.

hi Admin

Did you manage to make and try these with any success? as buying 20/30 mating hives is out of the question this soon after Christmas so the only option is making some any suggestions welcome

Mark

They looked a little to diy for me.
I purchased some apideas off the "Buzzy bee shop",Marcros who runs it is a member on here.

He also does "Swi-Bines" Like you are thinking of making.

Buffalow,
I recommend buying some MDF or something else at the same time as the 20mm expanded polystyrene. Then tape them together before you get to the car park. You would be surprised how little wind it takes to totally screw up a thin sheet of 8ft x 4ft polystyrene.

Some time ago I vowed only to buy 2 inch thick because of a dubious experience which left me with less usable surface area than I would have liked. :)

busy be shop

Is it still open, cant seem to acess web site, anyone have tel no. regards rourkie

I have made be box from that polystyrene boad and it is too soft to make hives. http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46&PN=1

I have done mating nuc from normal polystyrene boxes which I have splitted with table saw in three parts. Then I have glued that insultaion board in the site of missing wall. Board must be painted with latex or something that surface is hard to prevent ant to makee nest into the board.

You may do cover from that blue board but paint surfaces first.
Bottom board is good from thin plywood.

In these nucs you may use normal frame and return them into hives.

Use as polyurethane glue. It hardens with effect of moisture. Other glues do not attach to plastic.

Buffalow,
I recommend buying some MDF or something else at the same time as the 20mm expanded polystyrene. Then tape them together before you get to the car park. You would be surprised how little wind it takes to totally screw up a thin sheet of 8ft x 4ft polystyrene.

Some time ago I vowed only to buy 2 inch thick :)

Hi Hombre,
This is a different board , it is extruded not expanded polystyrene, it is stronger and denser than the polystyrene sheet you are talking about,
Correct me if i am wrong but I think this is the same board as the poly hives are made from???:confused: . so in theory should not need paint or coating as the polytyrene fish box type , this is what I am hoping again I am sure someone out there knows much more about this than me .

have collected 3 boards today ( a lovely mellow yellow colour ) , the favorite glue looks like liquid nails so will bee making a start next week

Mark

Hi Buffallo,
I stand corrected and happily so. I naively assumed that you actually meant expanded, rather than extruded and appreciate that it will have a nice smooth surface.

My concern was wind in a car park breaking both your board and therefore your heart, before you got it home. Been there, with bits in the car park. :)

Good luck with building the nucs. I think a coat of emulsion on the outside when done should stop degradation by UV. Where the sun doesn't shine they shouldn't need any paint. :grouphug:

Latest posts

Back