Suplimentary book learning.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon kerr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am fairly new to bees although used to care for my schools 10 hives when I was in my teens, some 22 years ago.
Can anyone recommend books that I could use to supliment a course.

Tar.

Simon, not an original post because others have asked in the past (as I have previously!). Go to the post ref via search (24087) and you'll get all the recs other made to Tuffers.

Depends what level you are already at? Most regard A Guide to Bees & Honey by Ted Hooper is No1. I think it is up there but not as accessible as some texts, when reading him first time round I found that he wrote with an assumption of prior knowledge in his readership that I simply didn't have, so his wisdom was lost on me.

My recommendation >>

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping by David Cramp. It has given me the confidence to undertake most inspections and manipulations of my colonies during the first year and just as importantly, when I have returned to other texts - Like Hooper I have then understood the text and taken the benefit. That may be a combination of practical experience as well as prior reading but I recommend this book for a structured, approachable, informative and at times amusing style. I have read fairly widely now and for me this book rates No1 for new to intermediate readers as a good all round reference and introduction.

I am also new to bee's and have both the above mentioned books and would highly recomend them!:)

There is also a lot of information to be gained via the internet sites. First one to spring to mind is the BBKA site.

I'm going to be reading the following over the winter months I hope.

The Honeybees of the British Isles - Beowulf Cooper

Queen Rearing Simplified - Vince Cook

WPC?

I have had the Cook book for years and had no success from it. Why I have no idea but facts are facts.

PH

PH what book have you had success with in regards to queen raising ?

What other books do you recommend to new beekeepers ?

Interesting. I shall bear that in mind PH. To echo admin - do you have an alternative recommendation for queen rearing?

Cris

WPC?

I have had the Cook book for years and had no success from it. Why I have no idea but facts are facts.

PH

We use the Vince Cook method - successfully, I may add :)

WPC?

PH

I'm confused :confused: ......

There would seem to be two 'facts' here .....

1. PH possesses VC's book.

2. PH has failed to rear Queens (implied Cook method).

But surely PH you were going to do a queen rearing video ? and posted much advice on the topic ?? I was eagerly awaiting more.

Do you have a different method then ? may we know what it is please ?

I possess the book yes.

I have failed to make it work for me (I stressed this)

Quite separately, I was indeed going to do a video but failed. Why?

Didn't have the third hand to hold camera, get the focus right and manage the frame and graft.

How do I do it?

Very simply. Shake bees for a starter box, add grafts, remove after 18 hours or so and add another batch. First and 2nd started batches go into supers to be sealed, then when sealed are put in cages and left to hatch if I am starting off Mini Nucs. If not doing that then they can be added to nucs at the ripe cell stage.

Hope this helps

PH

Im in my first year of beekeeping and have recently purchased,A Practical Manual of Beekeeping by David Cramp. I am really pleased with it,easy to read and understand and full of very useful info.

PH A couple of questions:

1. where have you selected the grafts from?

2. Why are you waiting 18hours, or more to the point why are you waiting 18 hours to add more bees?
The VC method is only 4 hours from the time of graft bar in to the time of grafting and to set up the colony minus 4 days from graft day and 10 days after graft day to mini apidea. Also you use the same colony to graft from and place the bar ontop of the colony using another brood box less hassle but then maybe its just me?

3. What exactly is the super for? I presume the graft bar?

As for the VC book I have used the method 5 times this year with the last batch of grafts out today in fact this evening and 66% success rate, which I think is good.
I think its a nice easy 6 Step process and without any fuss even a begineer can follow. I will post the photos of this coming Saturday grafts to show the process for those who maybe interested ;) and let people decide if its a good book to read over winter. Certainly gets my vote.

Very simply. Shake bees for a starter box, add grafts, remove after 18 hours or so and add another batch. First and 2nd started batches go into supers to be sealed, then when sealed are put in cages and left to hatch if I am starting off Mini Nucs. If not doing that then they can be added to nucs at the ripe cell stage.

Hope this helps

PH

Yes gandalfwhitewizard I would very much like to see those pictures :)

Thats very thoughtfull,I look forward to seeing them.

Latest posts

Back