supersedure gone wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so

i had a swarm which had a laying queen when it came

she lay 5 frames of brood v fast

i then had a supersedure cell which i left to develop

i have left it a month from when the cell should have hatched and there have been no eggs or no sign of original queen (which id marked)

checked today and was going to add a test frame of eggs

but, saw eggs but multiple eggs in cells

So, left the supersedure cell to do their thing and now....young queen or laying worker?

even some q cups have 2 eggs in

any ideas and advice welcome please?

yup
but i thought leaving them to supersede was as foolproof as it gets

Nothing with bees is foolproof, you can have laying workers after two days with some, and you can have laying workers with a virgin queen present.

yup

but i thought leaving them to supersede was as foolproof as it gets...laying workers within 4 weeks of the q cell hatching...

Yeah well... a reminder is perhaps appropriate here?
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42234
You want post #5 in particular.

As to your dilemmna now?
There never was a "supercede" - as what you did have was a swarmy strain
hellbent on Reproduction in good times... leaving you holding the can, figuratively
speaking. There were/was sign immediately prior to that QC being built, I know that.
Buuut whatever.
All an outcome of seeking and following "do this then do that" style advice/instruction.
When it all goes titsup - as per this example - then it is either you n0t following
along 'correctly', or some obscure oddity that gets thrown back at you from a pallete of
oddities as excuse for poor/bad advice in the firstplace.

Beekeeping is about observance and logic(al)deduction of the biology using those
observances as inputs. Anything else just isn't going to workout, longterm.

Commisserations on your loss.

Bill

i had a swarm which had a laying queen when it came
. . . i then had a supersedure cell which i left to develop

. . . no sign of original queen

I think perhaps, you had a QC?

The original Queen may have left with a swarm and (for whatever reason),the new one failed?
You have left them Q- for too long and in the 4-5 weeks they've been without HM, some have started to lay eggs.
It could well bee too late but they need a laying Queen now, or all is lost.

I think perhaps, you had a QC?

The original Queen may have left with a swarm and (for whatever reason),the new one failed?
You have left them Q- for too long and in the 4-5 weeks they've been without HM, some have started to lay eggs.
It could well bee too late but they need a laying Queen now, or all is lost.

but i cant really combine with a nuc with laying queen as fear the laying worker will kill the q?

Latest posts

Back