deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
I use national size supers
This year the ten frame supers all weighed in between 28 and 32 pounds. I have never had supers fill a bucket each
I think I'll be converting most my supers to ten frame castelations now

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What size bucket? If a super weighs 28-30 lbs you won't get a full bucket (assuming 30 lb bucket size), surely? I get 15-18 lbs honey from a full super of ten frames. There's always some residue due to early crystallisation etc. Doesn't matter, I always return wet supers to the hive for cleaning - prefer not to store wet supers.

Wilco

Village idiot
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-ish
What size bucket? If a super weighs 28-30 lbs you won't get a full bucket (assuming 30 lb bucket size), surely? I get 15-18 lbs honey from a full super of ten frames. There's always some residue due to early crystallisation etc. Doesn't matter, I always return wet supers to the hive for cleaning - prefer not to store wet supers.
I use 10L buckets and some of my supers filled one each this year.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Apols, I've just had a glass of wine. How much does a litre of honey weigh?

A young learner in the club apiary two weeks ago asked me how much honey does a hive produce each year. When I replied '30 lbs average' he was none the wiser.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
10 litre buckets

Latest posts