Supers weights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deemann1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+ nucs
I use national size supers
This year the ten frame supers all weighed in between 28 and 32 pounds. I have never had supers fill a bucket each
I think I'll be converting most my supers to ten frame castelations now

What size bucket? If a super weighs 28-30 lbs you won't get a full bucket (assuming 30 lb bucket size), surely? I get 15-18 lbs honey from a full super of ten frames. There's always some residue due to early crystallisation etc. Doesn't matter, I always return wet supers to the hive for cleaning - prefer not to store wet supers.

What size bucket? If a super weighs 28-30 lbs you won't get a full bucket (assuming 30 lb bucket size), surely? I get 15-18 lbs honey from a full super of ten frames. There's always some residue due to early crystallisation etc. Doesn't matter, I always return wet supers to the hive for cleaning - prefer not to store wet supers.
I use 10L buckets and some of my supers filled one each this year.

Apols, I've just had a glass of wine. How much does a litre of honey weigh?

A young learner in the club apiary two weeks ago asked me how much honey does a hive produce each year. When I replied '30 lbs average' he was none the wiser.

10 litre buckets

This year the ten frame supers all weighed in between 28 and 32 pounds. I have never had supers fill a bucket each
I use National Brood as supers, all between 50-70lb on 10 standard HM frames (slightly wider spacing once drawn in 11 frame boxes), makes for a great workout : )

Same, some bloody heavy supers coming in this season, many of my hives are totally plugged out.
Buy your new buckets quick because I've got another 800 supers ish to extract!

I tried dividing boards between the frames on one super for this year.
Lots of unnecessary faff moving them around all season but it did in the end produce a boxful of big wide flat combs that were so quick and easy to uncap I almost enjoyed the whole process for a few seconds.

Yes, Manley are great but won't fit comfortably in my T's 9-frame extractor.

They do in mine, but can be a bit of a fiddle getting them in. I have considered just nipping a tiny bit off the bottom end of the sides of the frames to make it easier though.

James

They do in mine, but can be a bit of a fiddle getting them in. I have considered just nipping a tiny bit off the bottom end of the sides of the frames to make it easier though.

James
I used have a universal 9 frame, the trick with manleys is to fill the outside two of each three then the middle one will wiggle in.

I have a second hand Thomas Duomel 9 frame radial which says explicitly not suitable for Manley frames. Someone decided to extend the slot on the inner section at the bottom but I felt that normal super frames might be unstable so made an aluminium carrier with the correct slot size for those. If I do get manley frames I can just take out the screws for them. BUT to replace the entire cage would have been 155 euros as they don't supply the bottom moulding only. So a nick out of the frame seems a great idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back