Supers full of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,7 of my hives have got 2 supers on and i intend to extract in about 2 weeks, i want to overwinter on a brood box only, what is the best way to get the bees in just the broodbox???what do other people do ?? I want to start apiguard treatment on some of them.

You seem to be saying you are on a single brood with two supers.

One would put on a clearer board and clear the bees out of the supers before extracting.

What's the problem?

PH

Yes single brood with 2 supers. But i want to start apiguard treatment.. If i leave the supers off after extraction, wont there be 2 many bees in the brood box??

A couple of years ago I moved from a National single brood to a brood and a half (overwintering with such)

I haven't looked back, why do you need to go to a single brood?
If you have too many bees you might risk a late swarm particularly when you start feeding

Yes single brood with 2 supers. But i want to start apiguard treatment.. If i leave the supers off after extraction, wont there be 2 many bees in the brood box??

they should be fine,queens should be slowing down at this time of year and swarms are highly unlikely ,even though it does happen.once the supers are off they will start filling the bb for winter.I normally give them a super for winter, give them feed if needed and then put the super underneath.in early spring the super will be empty,it can then go above an excluder on top of the bb

When clearing down bees where do you think they go?

There is room enough in the BB for them as the death rate is surpassing the hatch rate now.

PH

Toby, it never seems possible but get on with it as soon a possible, do it one super at a time, they should clear it in 24 hours, they will go into the bb. As finman sys they are clearing out ready for winter anyway. Get the treatment on as soon as possible. Try feeding at the same time, but if they don't take it with the treatment then feed straight after with 2:1 mix.
E

thanks for the replies. the reason why i was asking is that i did take 2 supers off a hive 2 days ago and i went to have a look a day later and the bees were nearly out the bottom and i had a look in the top and they looked a bit cramped.. i didnt want them to swarm... as prothero said its not very likely but it can happen.. i have got 7 to do that are still on some balsom. im having a look tomorrow and taking whats capped

Latest posts

Back