Supers & Extracting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi All

Just a quick question First full year and my strongest hive has three supers on, the top one is 3/4 capped and the two below are filling fast, my question is the top one that is 3/4 capped will it be ok to extract? I understand it has to be below 18 on my refractometer and the capped should be that but taking into account the capped and uncapped once extracted and mixed together I take it if it reads 18 or below I am ok to jar?
Hope that makes sense or should I just leave it to be fully capped?

Patience something I am learning fast with beekeeping, thanks will do.

Hi All

Just a quick question First full year and my strongest hive has three supers on, the top one is 3/4 capped and the two below are filling fast, my question is the top one that is 3/4 capped will it be ok to extract? I understand it has to be below 18 on my refractometer and the capped should be that but taking into account the capped and uncapped once extracted and mixed together I take it if it reads 18 or below I am ok to jar?
Hope that makes sense or should I just leave it to be fully capped?

Depends how much oilseed rape is grown in your area ;)

I would do the shake test on it, if none comes out, I'd extract

Too complicated calculations. Why to take risk of fermentation.
It makes sense if you wait that bees cap the honey and then extract.

When you have flow on and good weathers, you could consider to give box of foundations, brood frames or super frames.

Look into brood box, how much it has nectar or honey. And of course queen cell inspection.

Last edited:
Have you considered extracting the capped ones and leaving the uncapped on for them to finish filling.
Or moving the frames around, pushing the capped middle frames to the sides and bringing uncapped end frames to the middle for them to finish off. Granulated OSR honey could scupper either option

Have you considered extracting the capped ones and leaving the uncapped on for them to finish filling.
Or moving the frames around, pushing the capped middle frames to the sides and bringing uncapped end frames to the middle for them to finish off. Granulated OSR honey could scupper either option

No bees to do that. Bees cap the frames when flow continues.

I have mostly 4-6 supers. And 3 deep brood boxes work as honey store too.

Moving frames around... That is impossible because you do not get frames back any more.

Honey does not ripen faster, what ever you do and bees cap only full cells.

I agree,If bees have been working rape mite be to late to extract. I found it granulated quickly on the combs this year with the cold nights we have had

I have extracted the OSR after all had gone green in my area so hopefully none in the supers.

The super has all frames 3/4 capped or more so unfortunatley not worth doing but thanks for the idea.

I will just have to stick another super on then and wait for it to be capped.

Latest posts

Back