Supermarket honey price ridiculously low - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided my bees are exploiting me. I provide them with food when supplies are scarce, perform regular health and well-being checks through the season, help with parasite control and provide them with a nice, insulated home that protects them from predators. They occasionally hurt me in return whilst concurrently self-harming. ;)

Almost as bad as being a cat owner.
😂 … Actually just reading this as my lovely sleepy, purring, contented cat on my lap, decided she’d had enough and sunk her claws and teeth into my hand and refused to let go even when I was screaming very loudly at her to let go! She’ll be forgiven shortly!

Yes, why is so cheap? I will answered.
There is a countries where the honey cost around £0.5£ per kg and they mass produce, but very hard to sell it.
Big companies buying from those countries and they ultra filtered the honey and also heated to kill all the bacteria, after that they buy small amount of expensive pure honey from Europe and mixed it together in 10 tonnes pots, they processed the honey.
Also when you import the honey from any other country up 7% refined or any type of sugar, that is not honey is acceptable to be sold as honey.

Most of the bee keepers who feed the bees with sugar syrup etc, the bees sometime transferred the sugar syrup to the frames and when the bee keepers switch the frames from the hive to the super, they don't know there Is a small amount of sugar, when a test for foreign sugar is done
Meaning for sugar that is not honey, there is a small % of sugar around 0.2% to 5%
Anyway if the honey contains pesticides or antibiotics is not pure in the first place

I'm attempting to figure out whether it's safe to feed honey to my children. I've been taking this manuka honey: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Gold-Premium-Select-Manuka/dp/B07VRX7TL5?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 for a while now, and I've noticed several advantages. There are different opinions about this, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.
Children under 12 months of age shouldn’t eat honey due to the potential risk of botulism - albeit a very small risk. As for your Manuka honey, each to their own. I‘l be sticking to local honey that I know isn’t adulterated in any way (and isn’t flown in from the other side of the world)

I'm attempting to figure out whether it's safe to feed honey to my children. I've been taking this manuka honey: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Gold-Premium-Select-Manuka/dp/B07VRX7TL5?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 for a while now, and I've noticed several advantages. There are different opinions about this, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.
New Zealand reports more is sol in the UK than they actually produce!! Another survey found a honey from Wales another from Canada had more human beneficial components than Manuka. Best to buy locally produced honey

Manuka honey benefits are about topical use for wounds. Not really from eating it. Heather honey has been shown to have more antimicrobial activity than medical grade manuka in a few studies. Expect prices to rise in the next few years.

Latest posts

Back