Supermarket honey price ridiculously low - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

PeaBee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Would be good for the consumer if they did. "A blend of Chinese and Vietnamese honey" would certainly give the consumer clearer information and maybe some would make more informed choices. Would imagine there would be some push back from the packers as their labels would need constant adjustments depending on the various sources of batches going in the blends, a blend of chinese, Argentine, vietnamese and Romanian honey would take up a lot of space too. Plus not all blended carp is marketed as bargain own brand stuff and on the premium lines a blend of eu /non eu is more subtle than produce of china.

PeaBee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If they did, it would only benefit EU consumers. GB has the option to follow suit or do not a lot, depending on retailer resistance and public enthusiasm.
Quite agree, my "they" was a generic one and probably aimed more at UK govt as GB has the option to change its own labeling regs regardless of what the EU does. Sadly I think we will lag behind our neighbours as they seem to review and update more readily. I am certainly noticing there are annexes to regulations being updated in EU that we in the GB are stuck using the retained version from the end of the transition period.

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
I think you'll find the definition of honey for sale and produced in the UK includes reference to it being ripe honey not subject to evaporation techniques post extraction.
If this is the case then you could argue in court that any honey coming from non-EU sources could potentially and likely if from China, be from post extracted evaporated means which would then preclude it from being called honey or sold as honey in the UK...

KR

S

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can U.K. beekeepers not supply our retail honey? Or am I being naive?
Forget about the thousands of tons used in manufacturing…. They could use sugar.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In case you didn't notice, we're no longer in the EU, so rather irrelevant really what is produced in the EU now comes under 'other countries' in GB labelling regulations.
There are still plenty of jars in the supermarkets that are labelled a blend of EU and Non-EU honeys... is that now going to stop and have the honey labelling regulations been amended updated ? I haven't looked but I suspect not ?

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
have the honey labelling regulations been amended updated ? I haven't looked but I suspect not
Haven't checked meself as it doesn't affect me but I did see an announcement somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that shortly it would be changed to product of UK and other countries.

mdotb 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Haven't checked meself as it doesn't affect me but I did see an announcement somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that shortly it would be changed to product of UK and other countries.
The Food and Drink (Miscellaneous Amendments Relating to Food and Wine Composition, Information and Labelling) Regulations 2021 (legislation.gov.uk)

The provisions for country of origin from single source, or listing all, remain, but for blends the requirement is now:
“the indication “blend of honeys from more than one country” or similar wording”.

Northern Ireland still conforms to the EU regulation.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

Beegarden 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We could try some sort of awareness campaign for the public and also ask them not to buy that stuff if they want to support keeping and services of bees. Also writing to customer services of vendors? The Co-op had the cheap mix at £1 per jar yet have an "ethical" position...
It's a fact that Diabetes is on the increase in the UK. Is it possible that strapped for cash, some uninformed people are turning to cheap honey to pour on their porrridge/Weetabix et al, in the mistaken belief that they are cutting down, whilst at the same time having some health benefits? If they knew that their cheap honey contained corn syrup/sweeteners etc, I'm sure there would be an outcry.

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
Have you seen the Rowse add that's bee showing on TV? I watched it last night and was sure I heard the actor say "What if every squeeze of honey could protect the bees that laid it." (0.27 on the vid.)
I'm still not sure I'm hearing it right but do they think bees really LAY honey? :laughing-smiley-014

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
30 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
Maybe...... but it still sounds like laid it to me... :giggle:

Sanntos 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
It's a fact that Diabetes is on the increase in the UK. Is it possible that strapped for cash, some uninformed people are turning to cheap honey.......
Diabetes is on the increase everywhere where fast food and sugar drinks and coca cola are on the increase, and I believe real honey is more of an ingredient for people who like real cooking

Latest posts