Supermarket honey price ridiculously low - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
Really has there been an influx since we left or drop in existing standards.? Does not some Chinese honey come in as a blend of EU and non EU honeys. So we could assume rightly it’s already in the EU.
This isn't related to Brexit. Our testing has been bad for many years I understand.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
How are our standards or testing of honey different to other countries EU or not. I would have thought we had the same regs as the EU at least.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
This isn't related to Brexit. Our testing has been bad for many years I understand.
Regulations are one thing.
Inspections are totally different..

Newbeeneil 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
A comparison between U.K. Testing and Belgium testing is shown at 10.45 in the video in post #14. Which accounts for the very low cost of honey in the U.K.

Parsonage Bees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The EU buying in chinese honey at 1.6 euro/kg is still only 62p/lb. Honey that can pass the better testing used. Even applying these new tests won't solve the problem.

Later in the video states that even a 1% concentration of foreign sugar can be detected. I can imagine beekeepers being caught out by one hive robbing stores from a brood nest and putting it in supers. But we are a long way from ANY sort of regulation.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I may be mistaken but was it on this site Goran that suggested some Chinese honey finds it’s way into some EU countries then filtered out.

KittyB 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The Chinese are flooding the world with fake honey which is putting many local honey producers in countries like Mexico out of business. Almost every jar of supermarket honey will be a mix of EU and non-EU 'honey', and as soon as you see non-EU that invariably means China.
China exports more fake honey to the UK than any other country. It's a licence to print money.

cwinte 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
We could try some sort of awareness campaign for the public and also ask them not to buy that stuff if they want to support keeping and services of bees. Also writing to customer services of vendors? The Co-op had the cheap mix at £1 per jar yet have an "ethical" position...

Latest posts