Supering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Yes that old one again.

Put super of foundation on 2 of my hives last week. Checked today and they have drawn out and filled them. When i put the next super of foundation on (only have foundation) does it go below the allready filled super or on top?
I never got this far last year but if they keep filling them at a rate of 1 per week I will need lots more supers as the main flow here is himalayan balsom. :cheers2:

I agree.

Research said that bees respond to empty space above the broodnest by increasing nectar collection. No I cannot quote sources but I know this to be so.

I super below the full supers.

PH

Happiness is a super of foundation drawn and filled in a week - great joy
Mike

Umm no, happiness is a super of Cut Comb filled in a week, but ecstasy is a super of Ross rounds filled with Scottish Heather. :)

PH

Hapiness for me will be my first jar of my own honey with my own label on it. :cheers2:

Honey first, label second.

I had a real bonus as my old place was Stonehaven, and Stanehive was an old spelling of it, so Stanehive apiaries were born.

PH

see i never knew that!!!! all the books im reading just mention adding a super when you need too,not where it should be placed in the hive.
i must admit i assumed they just went on the top and not underneath,but looking at it now i can understand why;);)

If I put 3 empty supers on at the same time would the bees start filling the top 1 first and work their way down to the brood chamber? Also how would they behave in a wild state when using stores, would they start at top and work downwards or start at bottom and work upwards?

if you put several emty box at same bees spread nectar everywhere to rippen .
Bees like to fill cels according temperature in hive. Cold side combs they fill last.

So Finman, do you add a new super on top of the stack of honey, or underneath the boxes of honey, but on top of the bb.

JC.

Personally never found it makes any difference at all!. And I'm sure I've seen a report recently which suggested adding space at the top of the colony was more natural for the bees to work on/fill.

Peter

Honey first, label second.

I had a real bonus as my old place was Stonehaven, and Stanehive was an old spelling of it, so Stanehive apiaries were born.

PH

Stonehaven was where my siter was born then my dad moved back to Sunny old Edinburgh.

Of course empty boxes go between brood and old honey. Filled combs rise up, will be capped and go to extraction. Bees need 3 times more combs to evaporate water from nectar.
if bees feel that their hive is full, they swarm
swarming prevention is very important in supering.

Personally never found it makes any difference at all!. And I'm sure I've seen a report recently which suggested adding space at the top of the colony was more natural for the bees to work on/fill.

Peter

That i cannot understand this at all. how do you extract 120 kg from hive? Early yiel will be crystallized in lower parts. There is no need to keep capped honey in hives lon time.

We are in for a hot week, with some rain over the next two days, be prepared with supers.

PH

We are in for a hot week, with some rain over the next two days, be prepared with supers.

PH

Latest posts

Back