Supercedure?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I could not care a jot. For me it is supercedure. You can acsede as much as you prosede to practise at your practice. One can acsept it or not as you please but I will not sede to your claim. Just because the younger generation think a cell is a battery doesn’t mean we all have to be uneducated. Not many anti-aircraft batteries in WWII with only one gun, was there! The battery in your car would not be very good with only one cell.

It might be more important if the less educated learned that bees emerge from the coccoon whereas larvae hatch from the eggs (there, that should stir up a few on the forum🙂). Also supers are not part of a brood box, either. Nor are they supers when nadired. When all can learn the correct uses of these words, then it might be appropriate to discuss the ’c’ in supercede. Until then, which will be a long time henseforth, I say take a short walk.... ‘cos I ain’t chanjing.

As the QC has been knocked back, wait 6 or 7 days and see what they do, if more QC's then do the utmost to find the Q. For insurance make up a nuc with her if you have enough bees. If you leave Q & QC,s the likelihood is high they may swarm thus depleting colony numbers.

If in 6 in or 7 days time you find more or another QC you should be able to age it dependant on if sealed or unsealed. A sealed cell will likely mean it is 9 or 10 days old and unsealed cell 6 - 8 days old depending on the larva size.
Then one will have a more exact date of when she will emerge. One can leave 2 or 3 cells to develop until day 13 or 14 when then it is a best to select just one nice cell and either harness the others or destroy them.
The Saga continues. Checked today (last dry day for a week). Lots of small QCs most were empty. Found the queen (well my better half did but she is a commercial salmon fisherman’s daughter and can spot a ripple from a fish several hundred yards away- so maybe it was a spratt). She (the queen) was in the UBB and I split it putting it on a new floor with a roof. Stuffed grass in the entrance. I left no QCs in the split and knocked back most of the QCs in the original hive. I will look in a few days (6?) to see if there is an obviously better QC and select that. I am a bit worried, there was larvae (more than one!!) but not a lot. So don’t know if I now have a hive with a failing Q and another about to make a Q from a poor mother. Time will tell

Latest posts

Back