Supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My bees want to supercede their queen, something I understand is apparently fairly common at this time of year if she's not properly mated, injured etc.
However, it seems to me that it's a bad time for them to attempt this due to poor weather conditions. By the time she hatches and flies, it'll be late Sep. If the old queen wasn't properly mated, why don't they realise this straight away in summer and replace her asap, when the weather will be much more conducive to her flying? Why wait until autumn?

why worry - you've nothing to lose - if new queen doesn't mate then old queen will carry on until spring. (presume she is laying ok?). if new HM does mate they may well keep both over winter too.

Yes, but if the new queen doesn't mate and the old queen wasn't properly mated in summer, then she'll run out of eggs before next spring, won't she?

how well is she laying at present?

if no good in spring they'll just supercede at first opportunity next year.

a significant proportion of colonies supercede in autumn with keepers unaware until first march inspection.

Relax and let them get on with it, they have had considerable practice at it.

It is not unusual for the two queens to carry on together for some months so you are standing to gain here not lose.

PH

Ok, I'll just chill out. I guess I'm worrying too much about it and as you say, they know what they're doing! Thanks.

My bees want to supercede their queen, something I understand is apparently fairly common at this time of year if she's not properly mated, injured etc.
However, it seems to me that it's a bad time for them to attempt this due to poor weather conditions. By the time she hatches and flies, it'll be late Sep. If the old queen wasn't properly mated, why don't they realise this straight away in summer and replace her asap, when the weather will be much more conducive to her flying? Why wait until autumn?
Because the bees know best.

Why would do they anything but the most efficient, conducive and purposeful thing to sustain themselves?.......they wouldn't. So trust that what they are doing is right!

As beekeepers we must bow in deference at times to our bees and their hive mind.
There are things we can't and won't ever possibly be able to understand.

I understand your anxieties but a little more trust and faith in one of the most successful living creatures on the planet would do them justice.
They will be doing what is the best course of action for them.

There is no guarantee that the current queen will even be viable come next Summer for instance.

many beeks are no longer inspecting now we are into autumn so are relaxed and blissfully unaware of what their bees are upto during the next few weeks!!!

And because they dinna mark and or clip they never do realise that HM this Spring is not the lady they knew in the autumn...LOL

PH

Latest posts

Back