supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. as a new beekeeper - overrun with information - some of it conflicting, I need a few simple answers - firstly Can you tell me what is supercedure. My queen is several years old - queen cells are now appearing - is this supercedure ? 1) do I kill her and let the hive make a new queen - 2) do I get rid of the queen cells as I have in previous years.
3) do I try and create a new queen - if so how? very grateful for any help and advice. thanks.

Can you tell me what is supercedure.

Supercedure is where the bees replace their queen, without increase in colony number, as opposed to swarming which should lead to another extra colony (or more) being founded (super organism reproduction).

is this supercedure ?

Don't know. Could be either supercedure, swarming or emergency requeening.

The number, position and shape would help to determine the reason for the queen cells, as would the conditions within the hive. Supercedure cells are usually few, on the face of the comb and acorn-like, a little away from the comb. Swarm cells are usually easily recognised, once experienced and emergency cells will have other attributes. Several years old for a queen is 3 or 4.

do I kill her and let the hive make a new queen

No, they will do that job later. Bees are perfectly able to do that. The only time a beekeeper intervenes to kill a queen is on quality and when fully able to get her replaced, normally by introducing a new queen or by uniting two colonies (which usually amounts to the same thing).

do I get rid of the queen cells as I have in previous years.

'In previous years' you say yet claim to be (quote) 'a new beekeeper'. So this is at least your third season?

I really think you should get your books out and read them again.

do I try and create a new queen

The bees can do this much better than you. They have been doing it for many millions of years, so much better than you at it.

RAB

you have only one hive? i'd take opportunity to increase while bees are in the mood and you still have time (just).

make up a nuc with 1 (or max 2) best QCs remaining after choosing best (see posts ad infinitum by poly hive et al re choosing queen cells) to leave in main hive with old queen.

Hi _ actully should have read previous year - acquired hive about 12 months ago - complete with bees. did the course - information overload Im afraid. thanks.

Latest posts

Back