Supercedure Cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Much to my surprise, I found a single, large, sealed QC one third down a central brood frame on a regular National brood box yesterday. (Perhaps that explains why I noted a couple of patches of drone brood when inspecting the same hive last week). There is still plenty of sealed brood, larvae and eggs in the hive - and drones walking about unmolested.

What are the chances of this new girl getting properly mated in late September in sunny London, do you think ?

What are the chances of this new girl getting properly mated in late September in sunny London, do you think ?[/QUOTE]

Dont know about sunny Llundain but about 50%/50% in west wales

I have had queens successfully mated in October in sunny London... or at least mated well enough to produce lots of worker eggs in the Spring.

If you are feeling nervous the other option is to buy in a queen. I think a few people still have them to sell in the UK.

Thanks for your answers (humorous and straight). Will keep my fingers crossed.

Interesting. Is the colony queenright ?

Do you plan to remove any QCs ?

What are the chances of this new girl getting properly mated in late September in sunny London?

You sure you're on the right forum?

>Interesting. Is the colony queenright ?

yes, it is queen right with a queen in her second season.Her mother before her was a supersedure queen.

>Do you plan to remove any QCs .

No. I leave it up to the bees to decide which one to keep.

Latest posts

Back