Superbee beekeeping February 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video Norton,I do belive you are showing off because you have bees flying though!!!

Can you take a couple of pics of the feeeders for me as I would like to make a few.

The ones I have are from Thornes with the glass in,I have a few gallons of resin in the garage that needs using for a project.

Wow! Those bees certainly were gentle. You couldn't do that with Iberiensis, unless you like a lot of pain!!!:ack2:
I think those bees are great for Cyprus and are locally adapted to that environment.

Hi

Didn't think Graham Gooch had a younger brother, and at least this time you kept your clothes on;)

Regards Ian

Norton's bees perform very very well over here Norm - well, at least in my part of the country - I've got a couple and have some more on order.

Wow! Those bees certainly were gentle. You couldn't do that with Iberiensis, unless you like a lot of pain!!!:ack2:
I think those bees are great for Cyprus and are locally adapted to that environment.

Impressed with how gently you handle your bees Norton.

Many experienced beeks I've watched tend to inspect much quicker and are not so gentle.

Hello,
Good to see your comments...........
Every one likes a story - so, some years ago we went to see a customer in Switzerland - he said the bees were a little aggressive and we wanted to see what the problem was - I can only say that even though he had over a thousand hives, that he was a real brute - banging the hive tool between the bodies and was generally very rough - I'm a commercial beekeeper and am often pushed to get things done, but not like that!!!
On the other hand I have a short clip of a commercial beekeeper in Crete (2,000 hives) and he has some of the gentlest handling of bees I have ever seen. I'll try to upload it tomorrow on this thread.
We as BEEKEEPERS have to respect and show kindness towards bees and their home and not just see them as a means towards an end. Their fate is in our hands.
Best regards
Norton.

Hi Norton, thoroughly enjoyed the video, a picture paints a thousand words so to say, took note of the gentle handling especially the first frame.Many thanks. ainsie

I was impressed with the "able to stroke them like a pussy cat" comment, whereupon they separated like the red sea. :)

Good movie. Are you thinking of becoming a contender for the Hedgerow Pete Movie crown?

Hello,
Here is the link to the video taken in Crete:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzZYmhnCKw

It shows Kostas Frangiadakis, a fourth generation commercial beekeeper with about 2,000 hives. This Robert Deniro look alike is known in Crete as "THE beekeeper".
He is dressed in black and has a beard because he is in mourning for his 22 year old nephew, Manolis, who was murdered a few months before this video was taken.

Note the Australian type covers with a wooden feeder that is filled through an opening in the roof. The plastic bags contained fondant that has been consumed by the bees. Note also how careful he is when handling his bees.

Sorry about the noise from the wind - but it was quite strong.

We had spent the day grafting from superbee breeder queens into his starter hives so that he could use the cells in his own splits.

Enjoy!

Best regards
Norton.

Last edited:
Hi Roger
Is that you sticking your Rhodie nose in the video on the first frame ( long time no hear do you ever see Fever ie Mike addison )
Regards
Rhodiepom:cheers2:

Back