Super - should I remove unused one?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi there,

I added my third super (undrawn) just over a week ago as the bees had drawn and capped 2/3 of the other 2 and were going full-speed. However, when I checked them at the weekend, although there were plenty mooching about in the new super they haven't drawn out any of the frames, let alone start to fill them. I didn't notice a big difference with the other 2 supers either.

Should I remove this one or leave it on so they can do something with it if they need to? Just don't want to give them too much to do/heat. The nectar flow is decreasing but they still seem to be coming back with pollen and nectar frequently. I know drawn supers are preferable, but all my equipment is new as I only got my bees in June.

Thanks!

Top supered or bottom?

Less nectar and still the same amount of brood? So less being stored as honey.

I would not be removing it if the other two supers are near full, as you say.

You could remove a super (or perhaps more) of the the capped frames, extract and replace those wet frames for the bees to refill. The undrawn one could then be removed, in that scenario.

You might benefit from some spare drawn comb (or at least it would be handy) if you plan to expand. Your choice as to what you plan to do. Doesn't seem too much of a problem at this point in time.

Regards, RAB

The new super is on the top. Although you can put new ones on the bottom to encourage them to draw it, I thought that ideally they'd fill the other 2 totally first.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how they go this week and maybe remove a super of capped if need be.

I don't think it's life or death whether the super comes off or not.

HB will be the only stuff that fills it now. But note that bees get very reluctant to draw new comb in late season.

But they draw comb on the heather happily, and during feed post heather so I would postulate that it is not the lateness that is the issue but a dearth?

PH

Latest posts

Back