Super Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
I read in a book recently that it is best to use Hoffman frames in the brood box. This makes sense as they are self spacing and are a lot less hassle than using frames that need spacers or castellations.

It goes on to say that in the super it is best to use Manley frames rather than Hoffman. The book doesnt explain why this is the case, Can anyone shed any light on this. Ive just bought a load of Hoffman frames for my supers, have I bought the wrong frames ?:confused:

Manley sidebars are straight and this makes uncapping fairly easy. Hofmans complicate the process a bit - if you can change them I would but it is not the end of the world they are useable:)
:cheers2: Mike

Manley sidebars are straight and this makes uncapping fairly easy. Hofmans complicate the process a bit - if you can change them I would but it is not the end of the world they are useable:)
:cheers2: Mike

i found too much propolis with SN7 manley side bar, ,..easier to uncap-yes, more honey per frame-yes

but i have reverted to 10 cheap SN1 and plastic wide spacers, whats the spacing of hoffman sn4 ,isn't it 35mm...so 11 or 12 to a super rather than 10

Last edited:
What do you think of the KBS foundation compared to Thornes?

I'm gona try some of that KBS this year i've heard nothing but good things about it.

What do you think of the KBS foundation compared to Thornes?

i came across it by accident buying just a single 10 pack of foundation from a freind i use to buy from park bee supplies in Blackheath london as a late extra super was needed

and I was suprised how much faster my italians drew the foundation ..it smell very "honey" and is quite thick and deeper pressed

my bees draw it all out on 14x12 frame but if i use thornes foundation they dont draw it to the bottom of the 14x12

only problem is i find i have to trim it for thornes sn1 frames, just to a bit too wide, would be a pain if i had more that a couple of hives

about 50% of our BKA use it , to the extent that thornes phoned our secretary up to ask why we no longer purchased it from them with our bulk order in the jan sale

Last edited:
It's just down right better and has been for the last 25 years.

A lot better.

As for the super frames, Manleys are better drawn out with Hoffman's interspaced between them, preferably drawn but of course all you have is foundation then that will work though with a greater risk of brace comb being built. As your combs are drawn over the brood nest work your super to move them over and place foundation in between the part drawn ones.

The other factor to consider is can your extractor (or the associations) cope with Manley as not all can.

For cut comb though they are superb. I just bought another 200. ;)

PH

Last edited:
It's just down right better and has been for the last 25 years.

A lot better.

As for the super frames, Manleys are better drawn out with Hoffman's interspaced between them,.

PH

good idea, i will try that in a super this year, as i still have some manleys in the shed

Last edited:
One drawback of manley supers over hoffman broods is if you ever overwinter on brood and a half - dribbling oxalic is very difficult as the seams in the top box don't align with the seams in the bottom one and splitting boxes to dribble is always a bad idea.

Back