Super foundation wrong size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All
Plan ahead well I thought I had,I have a poly Hive Langstroth,but should of bought Dadant shallow foundation, but found out today the Langstroth foudation was too short by a inch.
I have left the gap on the bottom,had no choice as the bees where desperate for the room after advice of Bee Inspector yesterday,plus I was putting them on anyway this weekend.

Question do you think it will be ok or a total disaster.
And yes plan ahead but make sure you get it right:banghead:

Grub

It should be fine but be gentle if doing tangential extraction. some people only use starter strips in their supers - you are doing the same but with a larger starter strip than normal!

It should be fine but be gentle if doing tangential extraction. some people only use starter strips in their supers - you are doing the same but with a larger starter strip than normal!

Thanks for this its my own fault as I had made a note of what to get DS OR MD
just forgot :banghead:

Grub

Question do you think it will be ok or a tottal dissater
And yes plan ahead but make sure you get it right:banghead:

Grub

A rubber band length ways along the frame worked for me :cheers2:

Hi Mike
More info please:confused::confused::confused:
I have wired them in though.
Grub

As you've already wired them that is the best option.
Last year I needed to make up a super urgently and only had brood size foundation which I trimmed to length to fit the super frames, however the bees decided to chew out some of the foundation above the bottom bars so the combs were only attached to the frames along three sides. During the extraction the combs were trying to tear themselves out of the frames when gently spun but by using a large rubber band (shown in red) this solved the problem.

Sorry for the crude picture but hopefully you can see what I mean.
rub.jpg

MB - Dadants and Langstroth - it is partly a terminology thing. There are at least 4 different frames in use in the UK which share the same 19" top bar length. In order of reducing size they are Dadant or Jumbo Langstroth which are 11.25" deep, standard langstroth, 9.125" deep, then the 6.25" deep Medium or 3/4 Langstroth and finally Langstroth shallow which is 5.375" deep. The Medium Langstroth is usually called Dadant Shallow in this country although strictly speaking Dadant frames are wider than Langstroth but on a practical level it doesn't really make any difference in my view. Frames sold as Dadant Shallow in the UK are sometimes Langstroth width and sometimes Dadant width - it seems to depend on the seller but a frame sold as a Medium or 3/4 Langstroth would be normal Langstroth width.

So to answer your question all the poly Langstroth hives I know of use 6.25" deep frames in their shallow bodies, not the 5.375" shallow Langstroth which is used in the UK in wooden Langstroths. This is why when buying frames for a poly Langstroth you must get 6.25" deep ones which almost all suppliers call Dadant Shallow. Shallow Langstroth frames will fit poly Medium hive bodies and will work although when they get crowded you do get brace comb.

Bit of number crunching going on there before 10am Rooftops :svengo:

As you've already wired them that is the best option.
Last year I needed to make up a super urgently and only had brood size foundation which I trimmed to length to fit the super frames, however the bees decided to chew out some of the foundation above the bottom bars so the combs were only attached to the frames along three sides. During the extraction the combs were trying to tear themselves out of the frames when gently spun but by using a large rubber band (shown in red) this solved the problem.

Sorry for the crude picture but hopefully you can see what I mean.
rub.jpg

Mike a realy good tip
Rooftops real good answer

Thanks both
Grub

Latest posts

Back