Super cheap cedar nationals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeeman

New Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
A well know American Company who is now in the UK is going to be selling nationals just got the newsletter

BS National
Standard Cedar Super £12.00
Standard Cedar Brood Box £16.98

Yes,
I got the email too

We are pleased to announce that we have been working hard to get you the best possible prices on our products. From now on, our key products will be at permanent sale prices. Here are just a few examples:

National Hybrid
Standard Cedar Super £10.96
Standard Cedar Brood Box £15.96

BS National

Frames
£10.08 per 10
Or from £70.56 per 100

Complete Flat Pack National Hybrid Hive (including frames & Rite-Cell Foundation)
Pine - £99.96
Standard Cedar - £136.98

Our new National Hybrid hives are compatible with existing British Standard National hives and are exclusively manufactured by us. They are a result of reviewing comments about hive size made in the press this year and by listening to our customers. The National Hybrid hive features a National brood box with frames that have approximately 20% more brood area than the BS National without adding significantly to the weight. The frames are far more robust than existing BS National frames and are able to fit plastic Rite-Cell foundation, which ensures years of use (never buy wax foundation again).

Can't see anything on their website regarding the Hybrid Hive and how do they get 20% more brood area in.....unless they have morphed their 10 frame hive into an 11 frame hive....I'm a little confused.

£12.00 for a super is good value.
Has anybody here bought their stuff before? Quality?

Plus can anyone comment on the plastic foundation mentioned? Any good or best to stick to wax?

just what we didn't need, another design of hive and frame size!

assume it takes langstroth depth foundation 232mm or/& is single skinned short lugged on national footprint, but we wil have to wait and see

I don't think it would do any harm to mention the name of the company so we can all share and make our own decisions!
Thanks
E

It's Mann Lake - and I'm with MM on this one - yet another size of national to play around with - and their broods and supers are not much cheaper than the usual second quality stuff supplied by the other British companies - wonder what the quality is like compared to theirs

We have been using them all year there Quality is good never had any complaints. The ritecell foundation is good too have used around a 1000 sheets so far the bees like it. There frame design is spot on everything fit together perfect no splitting side bars or gaps

We have been using them all year there Quality is good never had any complaints. The ritecell foundation is good too have used around a 1000 sheets so far the bees like it. There frame design is spot on everything fit together perfect no splitting side bars or gaps

Do they make the ritecell foundation to fit normal national wooden frames?

Typical american or just illiterate?

One cannot use these boxesfor any other purpose? Proper description is deep and shallow, if real beekeepers? I wonder how they would describe a 14 x 12? As another National brood?

Typical american or just illiterate?

One cannot use these boxesfor any other purpose? Proper description is deep and shallow, if real beekeepers? I wonder how they would describe a 14 x 12? As another National brood?

Patrick who runs the UK Mann Lake has been keeping bees for years and years and he`s not American ( I don`t think so with his Accent) Most people would just be happy that this will force prices down to a level they should be at and not making people like Th&&es rich but you can`t help some people

Last edited:
Patrick who runs the UK Mann Lake has been keeping bees for years and years and he`s not American …

But he does run Langstroths! :)

20% more means its smaller than a 14x12 … now didn't we have a discussion about Dutch hives that were rather like our Nationals … I wonder …

However, rather than 'keeping a check on other's prices', I'm afraid it does sound like a single-source proprietary design, and thus purchaser lock-in -- for as long as they support the format.
On the other hand, if you want to establish something new, it certainly would help to sell it at a bargain price, at least until it became established.

Not sure about the larger offering but the standard national looks like a good price to me. Will get a couple and see what they are like, for such a small outlay there is little to lose.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

But he does run Langstroths! :)

20% more means its smaller than a 14x12 … now didn't we have a discussion about Dutch hives that were rather like our Nationals … I wonder …

However, rather than 'keeping a check on other's prices', I'm afraid it does sound like a single-source proprietary design, and thus purchaser lock-in -- for as long as they support the format.
On the other hand, if you want to establish something new, it certainly would help to sell it at a bargain price, at least until it became established.

but as the OP there are the Std Nationals also
BS National
No lock in there

but as the OP there are the Std Nationals also
BS National
No lock in there

Similar price big T and Big M sold them at Beetradex and BBKA spring event ,so will wait until i see the quality of the new boxes

so on the 460x460mm format (#465mm but compatable)

we have
14x8 nationals,
14x8 modified national, 1
14x12s Extra deep national
14x10 OSB Rose.
16x10 Commercia#,
14x6 National supers,
14x6 modified national supesr
16x7 commercial super#,

and for the oldies the 18 1/4" format
14x8 Economic and
14x8 Simplicty hives

we also have two types of polyhive, those with externals measurements as a national and polyhives with the same internal measurements as national

and now a hybrid national brood box that take american size wax so possible a 16x9 hybrid Nationals and 16x6.5 hybrid Supers

if you hear of a beekeeper run over by a bus it will be me

Last edited:
If he hopes to be successful then he needs to sell standard shallow, deep and 14x12 national boxes and not '20% larger brood' or whatever that is.

Guy walks into a shop 'hi, I need a lid for my saucepan'
'We don't do the common round lids but we do have these super cool new square lids. Would you like one?'

'No thanks, see ya'

Well I have had a brief look at their website and all I can see is wine boxes, not a mention of nationals.
Have a nice day now sir :unionsmilie:, Well somebody has to fly the flag

Well I have had a brief look at their website and all I can see is wine boxes, not a mention of nationals.
Have a nice day now sir :unionsmilie:, Well somebody has to fly the flag

It might just be in the email that was sent out.

We are pleased to announce that we have been working hard to get you the best possible prices on our products. From now on, our key products will be at permanent sale prices. Here are just a few examples:

National Hybrid
Standard Cedar Super £10.96
Standard Cedar Brood Box £15.96

BS National

Frames
£10.08 per 10
Or from £70.56 per 100

Complete Flat Pack National Hybrid Hive (including frames & Rite-Cell Foundation)
Pine - £99.96
Standard Cedar - £136.98

Our new National Hybrid hives are compatible with existing British Standard National hives and are exclusively manufactured by Mann Lake. They are a result of reviewing comments about hive size made in the press this year and by listening to our customers. The National Hybrid hive features a National brood box with frames that have approximately 20% more brood area than the BS National without adding significantly to the weight. The frames are far more robust than existing BS National frames and are able to fit plastic Rite-Cell foundation, which ensures years of use (never buy wax foundation again).

For me the most important line is "From now on our key products will be at permanent sales prices" something I have has been asking for, or at least access to seconds all year round from the big UK manufactures, i will try a few and judge for myself, it`s got to be good news in my opinion

I've bought from Beeman but his email was enough for me to de-register from his website after this. Was confirmed - now wait to see

I've bought from Beeman but his email was enough for me to de-register from his website after this.

Why? -only answer if it's relevant to this thread pleae, I'm not interested in other, personal gripes.

Latest posts

Back