Super advice - not totally full!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudge07

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,
We had a week of glorious sunshine in Scotland (really we did!) which ended three weeks ago. We were on our holidays that week and before we went I added a super with all new frames and foundation. When I got home and carried out my inspection and found a super with drawn out comb and full of honey. I was hoping that within the next few days the bees would seal the honey but they haven't. The weather since then hasn't been good - very wet - but the bees have plenty of honey in the brood box. Surley the honey is dry enough after three weeks? are they not sealing it so they can use it or could it be due to the honey flow being so good the bees couldn't draw out the comb fully before they started filling it?
Questions, questions!!
Thanks,
Smudge.

hi Smudge
if it was me i would give the bees time to cap it..they know when it is ready to cap so perhaps they are waiting for it to ripen..it is early in the season yet so my advice is ..be patient for a few weeks yet...cant see them taking it down as long as they have plenty of stores...hopes this helps....

Thanks for your advice Billy more patience it is - just thought I might have be missing something.

Cheers,
Smudge

Latest posts

Back