Sunken brood cappings - overheated?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not seen this before. Looking for advice.
Introduced a 2022 grafted/mated queen into this nuc 12th July. They were robbed severely so I've been propping them up with fondant every other day.
They are not expanding or gathering much nectar.

Box is in shade after 4pm. Is this overheating?
Cappings seem to have sunken onto the white larvae (edit: pupa).

DSCF20220819-01-crop1.jpg

DSCF20220819-01-small.jpg

Last edited:
No. Had a good broggle about with a stick but the larva are segmented? (edit: developed, have head, thorax, abdomen) so too developed for AFB. The few large open larva on the RHS look OK so not EFB.
AFB is in sealed brood not open - poke a matchstick through some of the sunken cappings and see what you find - if it comes out as ropey goo, then call your SBI

Maybe wax moth? The cappings look thin.
The whiteness of the cappings is the head of the larva (edit: pupa) underneath.
AFB is in sealed brood not open - poke a matchstick through some of the sunken cappings and see what you find - if it comes out as ropey goo, then call your SBI
Yes, had a broggle through a few cappings. Larva not melted. No ropey goo.
Cappings not dark which would be classic AFB.

I realise it’s the brood showing through, which is why I thought maybe something like wax moth eating the capping.

Pleased you’ve ruled out AFB though.

I’d suggest a heavy varroa ingestion, I’d treat immediately with apivar.

It looks like brood that has not been tended, not enough nurse bees and died in the cells.
Affected seem to be pupal but I think I see two dead larvae? Again, lack of nurse bees perhaps? How big are they now and is the queen laying? Does she have all she needs?
I agree with Ian, get varroa treatment in and consider feeding? I see no stores.

I’d suggest a heavy varroa ingestion, I’d treat immediately with apivar.
2 nucs were made up from a colony that was last treated with Apivar last November. They were robbed dry after being set up and I've been feeding them fondant steadily. They are so weak that I wouldn't want to do a mite wash.
Nuc has solid floor so no check on the drop.
It looks like brood that has not been tended, not enough nurse bees and died in the cells.
Affected seem to be pupal but I think I see two dead larvae? Again, lack of nurse bees perhaps? How big are they now and is the queen laying? Does she have all she needs?
I agree with Ian, get varroa treatment in and consider feeding? I see no stores.
As above. They still haven't gathered any honey. I moved them 3 miles away to stop the robbing but I fear they were robbed by the hives at that apiary.
A few eggs seen today. I fear feeding syrup will just restart robbing. Will continue with fondant.

Planning to unite the 2 nucs, killing off the weaker queen. And plan to get any queen rearing completed earlier in the year.

Posted images on Twitter and the first response was "Ouch! Baked. 😡 " Not a diagnosis here. ?

:iagree:
It doesn't appear to be all cells. The ones in the centre of the frame look ok don't they? In a hive low in numbers, the centre of the comb would tend to be where the bees would be concentrated and attentive to them. It is unusual to see cells like that however.

I'd go for PMS.
Cappimgs aren't greasy looking.
Cappings with holes at the side suggesting death during emergence.

I experienced similar at yesterday's inspection. This was from a 5 frame nuc with a 2022 queen. this s only on 1 frame. Not sure what it is and what I should do.

Attachments

• 20220819_164053.jpg
    20220819_164053.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220819_164058.jpg
    20220819_164058.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
I experienced similar at yesterday's inspection. This was from a 5 frame nuc with a 2022 queen. this s only on 1 frame. Not sure what it is and what I should do.
I'd say that's baldbrood. I get that with high mite loads. Just control the mites.
Not sure it's been proven but could be a hygienic behaviour as they reopen cells that they sense have mites in them.
. .. . Ben

when i see that kind of baldbrood always take me a toothpick to check those open cells and them neighboring couple capped cells for wax mouth which i found is the mostly common reason if do no find any eviddence of wax mouth and discover in those neighbor couple capped cells any varroa load then do un alcohol wash for mites check and decide after if ll cut off or not that infected part of capped brood comb more if its a dark old comb but ofc you can also go for chem treat but first be sure if its cause of mites

your capped brood seems healthy color and no dents so 'dnt worry for something more serious

Not seen this before. Looking for advice.
Introduced a 2022 grafted/mated queen into this nuc 12th July. They were robbed severely so I've been propping them up with fondant every other day.
They are not expanding or gathering much nectar.

Box is in shade after 4pm. Is this overheating?
Cappings seem to have sunken onto the white larvae (edit: pupa).

View attachment 33499

View attachment 33498
Looks like a failing queen to me

Parsonage bees, sorry for hijacking this thread a little with this post, but your issue has raised a couple of questions from me.

I see many people suggesting that varroa treatment is what is needed here.

In a situation like this, my worry would be the brood rotting in the cells leading to the possibility of further health issues / diseases.

Am I over thinking? Or would a change of any frames with dead brood in be the safest option?

If so what would you do with those frames? Freeze them to kill any pathogens? Or cut out wax and sterilise in boiling water?

Back