Sunday task

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find if I endlessly talk about bees she thinks about other things - even though she's a keen beekeeper too 😏
I could try that but she would tell me to shut up... Not enough of a distraction I'm afraid.

a rope around the tree to hold the ladder firmly in position would be absolutely essential.
was up cleaning gutters yesterday so don't mind ladders. Will secure it.
Nice job, Heather.

Best ladder for this sort of work is an aluminium tripod, which removes most of the risk and sweat. I bought two when I worked as a gardener, and won't use any other. Not cheap, but safest.

Well done Heather, really impressed👍

Brilliant job Heather.... I would have done the same. 😀
I was told of a cluster of bees around a broken bough on Sunday but when I went to look they had obviously left the area.

Whoa, does my bum look big in this, was chilly and had a jacket and joggers under!!! Honest!
You look absolutely lovely. Thank you for giving them a chance! Amazing how they covered the main seam of bees to keep bees and brood warm. Let us know how they get on - silly buggers.
Love and XXX

You look absolutely lovely. Thank you for giving them a chance! Amazing how they covered the main seam of bees to keep bees and brood warm. Let us know how they get on - silly buggers.
Love and XXX
Pic of the year... nice to see you were socially isolating!
Nadelik Lowen

Collected and safely in a National. Was some brood present and stores.

Poor bees. Missed a chance to demonstrate Darwinian survival of the fittest - maybe a new mutation - colonies that don't need top insulation or polyhives etc.
Glad you survived, however...

Who went up the ladder?
Hmm, initially the men did, saying I wasn't to.... was not happy as I love doing such recoveries.!!..mouthing chauvinism comments.. But when they had the bulk of the colony in the special large bag I had made (worked well with the drawstring encapsulating the bees), they left a few hundred on the original site, so I grabbed a small branch of leaves and scooted up to dislodge them. (cursing I had not taken my beequick spray). They all moved from the remnants of comb and didn't recluster so we presumed they found the main colony. But a good team effort. Doubt they would have survived with one comb of stores. And being very open to rain.

Hmm, initially the men did, saying I wasn't to.... was not happy as I love doing such recoveries.!!..mouthing chauvinism comments.. But when they had the bulk of the colony in the special large bag I had made (worked well with the drawstring encapsulating the bees), they left a few hundred on the original site, so I grabbed a small branch of leaves and scooted up to dislodge them. (cursing I had not taken my beequick spray). They all moved from the remnants of comb and didn't recluster so we presumed they found the main colony. But a good team effort. Doubt they would have survived with one comb of stores. And being very open to rain.
They would not have survived .. good job done ... I find it a really satisfying part of beekeeping ... there's a real sense of success when you finally get them in a box and they start to look like it's the new home they have been looking for ...

Thank you Heather you did a brilliant job between you all
AS for the men.....great.

Well done Heather! I knew you would get them....too much of a challenge!

Latest posts

Back