Suits you

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all, think I need a new suit. Old one has fencing veil which is ok but wondered if the round hat type are better or worse? Any good reasons which please or just personal preference. Thanks, nuc.

The best you can afford. The main thing is to make sure that the veil stays off your face. If it constantly brushes your face you will get stung eventually. A baseball cap underneath can stop that but why not buy the best one to start with. I bought mine 25 years ago from thornes, a hard straw hat thing with a hard four sided veil. I am now paranoid about losing it to age as it is the best thing I EVER bought. It looks different to anyone else's too.
E

Have a look at this thread: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=172311

I'm also in the market for a suit. The typical recommendation seems to be BBwear (£102 and £86 for 'basic') and Sherriff (~£130). I'd be interested to hear from people with cheaper suits though. Modern Beekeeping (£63), Bee Basic (£60 and £78 for 'Astronaut') etc.

I am drawn to the Sherriff as I'm particularly tall and thin so their 'Tall' option seems like a good idea, but at close to twice the price I haven't sprung for it yet!

BBwear do made to meaure for the same price I believe. Might do you well for your extra tall one clv101.

BBwear do made to meaure for the same price I believe. Might do you well for your extra tall one clv101.

Indeed - I was just looking at this, it's £10 extra which seems very reasonable for a 'custom fit'. Has anyone gone down this route?

Not had a made to measure from them but very happy with their BB1 which I have had now for the second season. Washes up great and no issues with zips jamming, and the Fencing style veil is really good quality, even resisted me trying to rip it on brambles!

I can only get on with a fencing style, I don't like the way the round type fits on my head but that's personal preference, my old suit from Sherrifs (still got it but it's getting tired) did 14 years, they do have a repair service which I used once to replace a zip and repair some holes, I currently have a BB wear light weight but find the hood not as good as the sherrifs one i've had that 3 years, I think after this season I will go back to Sherrifs and get a new one from them though.

C B

Indeed - I was just looking at this, it's £10 extra which seems very reasonable for a 'custom fit'. Has anyone gone down this route?

I recently went the BBWear made to measure option. For an extra tenner it is well worth it and I had the suit 8 days from order date! Super service.

I watch guys at the club apiary in the 'cheaper' suits keep adjusting the vail away from their face, one has already split across the mesh!!

Don't skimp with the suit!

I have a BBwear round hat type, which I'm very happy with. With the fencing type there does seem to be an ongoing issue with keeping it away from the face, with mine the question doesn't arise, the veil can be a mass of angry bees and it's not a problem.

Mine is fairly heavy twill, nearly sting proof but not quite: I guess a lighter one would be cooler but easier to sting through?

I have a Swienty from Modern Beek'ing - with hat.
Its good value, and nicely protective - but -
- the hat vent is an unprotected spot (only a problem when faced for whatever reason with a real cloud of peeved bees).
- the hat blows off (as far as it can) in the wind and occasionally slips while I'm bent over with both hands full. Some people with hat-type suits add a chinstrap.
- the velcro isn't as good as it used to be
- and the hat is hand-wash only (BB/Sherriff fencing veils can be stuffed inside the suit and put through the washing machine). /// and you should keep your suit clean.

I'll happily keep it, but I'm now after a club-discount BB - with fencing veil.

Nice BB feature is that you can buy a spare lid and interchange fencing veil and hat - they both fit the same suit.

I have used both, first veil was a round hat type thing, trouble is that on a windy day the hat blows off your head and the veil touches you face, and it's a bloody nuisance, even happened with a cap on. Fencing veil much better for me.

I prefer the round type myself, with my very limited experience!

BB light weight with round hat for me - don't like the way fencing ones can concertina towards the face (plus wearers don't look like beekeepers).
still awfully hot to wear when 40C.

I prefer the round hat. The supports on the fencing-type veils are distracting, and the whole hat is a bit too head-hugging.

But, the fencing-type concertina nicely against your back when not wearing the hat, the round ones hang away from your shoulders.

I have the round hat MB version jacket. Bought brand new, it's a little small for my head, so doesn't sit well on it. When the wind blows, it's a pain in the backside.

I bought a 2nd hand BB wear suit with fencing veil at the Glos auction. Not superb condition, but it's my clothing item of choice... (Although it isn't such heavy cotton, it just feels 'nicer')

I don't really like the sheriff badge, so it's BB for me in future I think.

Hi all, think I need a new suit. Old one has fencing veil which is ok but wondered if the round hat type are better or worse? Any good reasons which please or just personal preference. Thanks, nuc.

I HATE the hat. Never stays put on my bonce, but it is a particularly square shape. Like dealing with a cardboard box on my head with about as much visibility and comfort.

Latest posts

Back