Suitable remote Apiary?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydragon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm considering moving my hives from my garden to a remote apiary.

Speaking with a farmer, I've been offered an area of ground, but am concerned regarding possible spray damage to my bees.

The hives would be situated on the edge of a small field, at the end of an access track, where there is a triangle of grass approx 30yds x 40yds. The area is open farmland, with some woods and hedgerow.There are no footpaths or roads nearby and it is private access only. A large stream flows past this side of the field with it's banks full of wild plants/flowers and there is a village approx 600yds away. So there should be plenty of nectar/pollen for a couple of hives.

The field (this year) is planted with sugar beet and adjacent field have Maize and Wheat.

The farmers do spray these fields regularly with general weedkillers - will this spraying cause my bees any issues?

I'm considering moving my hives from my garden to a remote apiary.

Speaking with a farmer, I've been offered an area of ground, but am concerned regarding possible spray damage to my bees.

The hives would be situated on the edge of a small field, at the end of an access track, where there is a triangle of grass approx 30yds x 40yds. The area is open farmland, with some woods and hedgerow.There are no footpaths or roads nearby and it is private access only. A large stream flows past this side of the field with it's banks full of wild plants/flowers and there is a village approx 600yds away. So there should be plenty of nectar/pollen for a couple of hives.

The field (this year) is planted with sugar beet and adjacent field have Maize and Wheat.

The farmers do spray these fields regularly with general weedkillers - will this spraying cause my bees any issues?

Weed killes do not affect on bees, at least notably. And the farmes cannot spray regularly the field - what do you mean by that?

I would be more worried

- open land which is windy to bees

- Those cultivated fields give nothing to bees

- It would good if you can drive with car on site

- 600 yards is a long way to bees to reach pastures to house area

Last edited:
I too have just found a remote apiary on farmland. Nicely protected from the prevailing wind, pleny of hedges etc, not directly under trees, water nearby, and loads of wild flowers and crops.

My farmer, too, sprays his corn occasionally. We have reached an understanding that he will give me a day or two notice, so that I can shut them in if necessary. Perhaps your farmer will do the same?

Yes, farmes spray here too all kind of stuff against mould, aphids, pollen beatle, weeds and so on. I have not seen eny harm in hives. My hives are on farmland.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Good news (potentially) regarding the effects of weedkiller. The farmer does spray the fields often to keep weeds down on the crops and I don't think I'd be able to co-ordinate with him, so I'd rely on there being no ill-effects.

I can drive right up to the site with my car, along a old farm track and the site is fairly sheltered by some banking, a large hedge and some bushes/trees.

Looking at a satellite image (Apiary marked with red dot) things might be better than I thought regarding bee foriaging. The site is right next to a large stream and a small pond, both which have wild flowers/trees growing on their banks. Approx 300 metres away is a old disused canal, with again wild trees/flowers wild flowers grow on the banks. Approx 200 yards away are a few small fishing ponds and the edge of the village is less than 400 metres away.

Looks like this site will do then.

beemap.jpg

Latest posts

Back