Suit or Smock

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ail901
how do you wash the suits and how often pls

Whenever I visit the Association Apiary (AFB - Movement Ban).
(Jacket)
Otherwise whenever dirty or annually or when it is good drying weather.
Aldi Bio Liquid, soaked in bucket for 30 minutes in hot water. Quick scrub of any stains.

Rinse twice and hang outside to dry.

Dries in 2 hours - or less.

Mine is Camo to hide the dirt.....

All bees get bad hair days, have a full suit even if you never use it! I have done the bees down the welly trick too but I still put my wellies outside my suit, bees crawl upwards, rarely downwards so any gaps should be facing up, ie, if you wear a smock and the bees are having a go then pull your trousers over the top of your smock, looks stupid but it works!
E

OK... I am not saying 'do as I do'... but this is what I do do. At the very worst it might make someone laugh. This is my first year with my own hives. I have a smock with a nice round hat. I wear blue jeans and walking socks (yes, I know not to wear dark colours, I just do it). Tuck jeans into socks. Feet go into sandals. I have leather gloves with elasticated gauntlets. I think that with one hive I could dance naked and not have any problems. The other hive likes pinging off my veil....

Now I did used to help out a nun with her hives and they were ankle biters, so I would not do the same with them... I used to wear shoes, not sandals! I also know from that time that I am fine with bee stings... but with my current set-up I have survived a season without a sting. (Well the score is that they have stung the gloves 4 times, the leather bellows on the smoker twice, a manipulation cloth once and a cat.) I will move to latex-free [I cannot tolerate rubber] washing up gloves next season, but feel it most important to build up confidence from the evident lack of stings before proceeding.

I have tried without gloves and was too fearful to do anything useful. The big problem with my set-up is that the gauntlets stick to things and make manipulations less graceful. That may help or not!

OK... I am not saying 'do as I do'... but this is what I do do. At the very worst it might make someone laugh. This is my first year with my own hives. I have a smock with a nice round hat. I wear blue jeans and walking socks (yes, I know not to wear dark colours, I just do it). Tuck jeans into socks. Feet go into sandals. I have leather gloves with elasticated gauntlets. I think that with one hive I could dance naked and not have any problems. The other hive likes pinging off my veil....
t!

I wear black trousers, blue trousers.. makes no difference.. Never jeans. Too tight.. stings penetrate easily. Big and baggy is best :sunning:

Jeans were cheap... £4 an AS DA. Quite baggy, but I have never been a follower of fashion (nor have the bees).

I thought that SOMEONE would ask the fate of the cat! I had just done my best to annoy my Italians. I may have dropped something and crushed a few. As I wandered away from the hive I had a couple of followers who were making a more desperate buzz than usual. (Not the 'I would prefer it if you didn't disturb us' more the 'if you weren't wearing that stuff I would sting you to within an inch of your life' buzz.) Said cat jumped onto wall desperate to be stroked. Follower buried self into cat fluff and kamikazed. Cat did not talk to me for rest of day. (Being dark and furry, she might as well have painted a target on herself.)
1000333_10151666262104093_1540217188_n.jpg

Attached is a picture of the harvest. Fearing the worst, I was wearing black shoes on that day, but rest was as described.

Both.

Suits with wellies are so much better, but a bit of a fag to put on.

Wear the smock when watching other beeks at demos etc and when you just want a quick look at your home bees. If you only have a full suit, you will probably risk a quick peek without protection at some point and the results can be dramatic.
I have liquid smoke for a similar reason.

:puke:

Whatever you do in your own mind is your business - but there are other forums for your kind of preferences (either that or electric shock treatment :eek::D

Dang! I doo put my foot in my mouth! I was rather refering to the pleasure of seeing her in pain! Oh no Done it again I'll shut up! the holes deep enough.:banghead::redface:

I wear a pair of heavy duty workman's overalls with my smock over the top. I have used wellies but have had the bees going down and attacking my ankles as well - not a good experience. i now wear my motorcycling boots with the overall legs inside - very snug.

Beekeeping is for the sartorially challenged isn't it

Suit suits me.
I also have an old fashioned fold up square veil which tucks into a jacket for when I just want to mow round the hives e.t.c.
Cazza

I wear a pair of heavy duty workman's overalls with my smock over the top. I have used wellies but have had the bees going down and attacking my ankles as well - not a good experience. i now wear my motorcycling boots with the overall legs inside - very snug.

Beekeeping is for the sartorially challenged isn't it

I object. I wear tophat, spats and monocle when not beekeeping.. That's not sartorially challenged....

I have a suit and smock, and I think after last weeks incident, I'll be wearing the suit more...

but personally, you can get dirty, with honey, propolis, so a suit protects your cloths.

I have been wearing a smock and trousers - I find them easier to put on than a suit - but I used my sons suit today - harder to put on but very effective and his hood detaches so the suit is easier to wash than my smock (non-detaching hood) The bees are more bad tempered at the mo (though I haven't been stung through the smock) So personal preference.
I was with a friend when he inspected his and he had a smock with a belt around the middle because his bees really liked to crawl up.

The best thing I bought is the leather gloves - I was stung through my marigolds. My husband has just ordered some of these for himself.

At this time if years while there are plenty of bees still and mucky supers, a suit is useful. Still, have largely used my jackey as suit too hot.

Seven Kings Apiary

Jacket, I like the zip up the front, easier to take off and put on than a smock. A suit for any 'dangerous' occasions.

Ditto, but I do wear a long sleeve top and a baseball cap under either together with wellies.

I use a smock. I think I'd pass out in a full suit; way too warm for me.

I could probably do with getting a suit, especially with last years crotch attacking hive and an incident when my builders bum turned into a landing platform:sos:

Latest posts

Back