suggestions please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repsaj

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
i have one wbc hive in a sw London garden, which has been until recently very successful. About 6 weeks ago checking the hive early morning, there were approx two thousand dead bees lying outside the hive! later i checked inside, and all seemed normal, but could not find the queen. left it a few days and checked again, all seemed ok, but since then have noticed loads of drone cells and eggs laid in a haphazard fashion, introduced a new queen but she did not survive, tried again with the same result! do i have laying workers? what can be done about this, i have run out of ideas.

First thoughts:

Was it a pesticide attack? deliberate or otherwise.

Why did you not have a samplechecked out for cause of death? A bit irresposible on your part as others around might be infected if a disease problem.

From your account, it would seem quite possible/likely you have laying workers. Requeening will be difficult (see other posts on laying workers).

You will likely need some outside assistance to get it queenright. At this time of the year the problem needs addresssing soonest rather than later as the survival of the colony seems to be at 'quite severe' risk level.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back