suggestions before petrol!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t need to do that.
Make a nuc up from a couple of frames of brood from that brood box you move. Introduce your queen to that. When she’s laid a little kill your mad queen and unite your nuc.
Did something like that just that a couple of weeks ago, had a colony that was going iffy, took five frames out and killed the queen, squirted air freshener in and put five frames including the queen in from a nuc. No problems at all. Accepted the fresh bees with no fighting and now, two weeks later plenty of frames with fresh eggs and much much nicer!

This morning I read Heather’s message about her nasty colonies and re-queening. I can’t find it now. I wanted to ask you Heather what you are doing with the flying bees in the supers? Will you introduce your new queens with them on? The only time I have bought a queen was in 2017. Killed queen. Carefully followed instructions to the letter, no eggs or larvae. Queen cage between frames of brood. Queen killed.
I have a colony I need to re-queen. Reluctant because 9 frames brood, re-laying cycle back into empty cells good - 3 supers but stinging away from the hive. I‘m considering moving the brood box away to get the flying bees into another box on the original site then killing them.
why kill any bee apart from the problem queen? I think your mistake was to keep them hanging around queenless for days on end before introducing the new queen. Find the old queen, kill her then immediately introduce the new queen in her cage, with attendants and candy protected with some tape for a day or so after introduction.
Or as Dani says make up a nuc first (queen again gets introduced as soon as the nuc is made up) then once the nuc is well established, unite with the problem colony immediately after you introduce that queen to a gatepost.

Thank you. The nuc advised by Dani sounds easiest, away from the hive. I note I need to introduce the new queen immediately.

This morning I read Heather’s message about her nasty colonies and re-queening. I can’t find it now. I wanted to ask you Heather what you are doing with the flying bees in the supers? Will you introduce your new queens with them on? The only time I have bought a queen was in 2017. Killed queen. Carefully followed instructions to the letter, no eggs or larvae. Queen cage between frames of brood. Queen killed.
I have a colony I need to re-queen. Reluctant because 9 frames brood, re-laying cycle back into empty cells good - 3 supers but stinging away from the hive. I‘m considering moving the brood box away to get the flying bees into another box on the original site then killing them.
I will put queen into brood box (still caged) return to original site and add original supers... hoping they still remember each other after 2 days apart!!

You don’t need to do that.
Make a nuc up from a couple of frames of brood from that brood box you move. Introduce your queen to that. When she’s laid a little kill your mad queen and unite your nuc.
Hmmmm... already killed mad queen from one colony and put other mad queen into a observation hive Nuc as just been reminded am to give a talk next month and usually take a sealed hive.

I will put queen into brood box (still caged) return to original site and add original supers... hoping they still remember each other after 2 days apart!!
Squirt of air freshener to make sure!.... But then again maybe not on supers! .....?

Update .. Bo**ocks.. " 2 people stung about 100yds from my hives. My hives are not on my land, and the owner has now insisted I remove all asap!! I did explain that there was a queen problem I was rectifying as fast as possible.... carnolian queens arrive tomorrow.....but decision made.
Hey ho. Fortunately I am in process of purchasing a field behind my house (to prevent it being built on) so am blocking in bees from hell and driving them to new site tomorrow. Never rains but it pees it down! Will be good next week.. 5 hives in final situ.. trying to be positive.

Update .. Bo**ocks.. " 2 people stung about 100yds from my hives. My hives are not on my land, and the owner has now insisted I remove all asap!! I did explain that there was a queen problem I was rectifying as fast as possible.... carnolian queens arrive tomorrow.....but decision made.
Hey ho. Fortunately I am in process of purchasing a field behind my house (to prevent it being built on) so am blocking in bees from hell and driving them to new site tomorrow. Never rains but it pees it down! Will be good next week.. 5 hives in final situ.. trying to be positive.

Well done. Sounds like its been a bit of a battle but you're almost there congrats

Final roundup. bees all moved to new apiary site.. And don't understand why, but foul queen that I didn't bump off- now in 5 frame observation hive - is good to handle again.. (when previously the colony chased my bee buddy chap 100yds down the road and he got 5 stings!) But sorted.. :cool:

Final roundup. bees all moved to new apiary site.. And don't understand why, but foul queen that I didn't bump off- now in 5 frame observation hive - is good to handle again.. (when previously the colony chased my bee buddy chap 100yds down the road and he got 5 stings!) But sorted.. :cool:
Tell him to have a shower before he helps again!:unsure:

Could it be because the colony is small again?

Could it be because the colony is small again?
sounds likely - the ASBO colony I have up above the range awaiting a regime change was docile when I first opened in the spring, now they have built up and have supers, they've turned vile again

Latest posts

Back