Suggest best polyhive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have probably been using Swienty a bit longer than most and I have yet to see bees chewing the material.

PH

For people with Maisemore hives and vaping I made a tray that fits under the mesh floor and slides in where the varroa floor fits. I bought the cheap vape from Th***s. Pictures in the link below.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=579930&postcount=20184

I find I just had to put a little more into the vap tray as some of it settles on the cold mesh but most goes up into the hive and I have the crown board feed hole open I can see when the OA vapour comes out.

Sorry if this question has been asked before but can you recommend a good quality polyhive? I run the Beginners course for our local association and I think it would be a good idea to have a polyhive in our teaching apiary as they are becoming so popular (and of course they are cheaper than the cedar wooden hives) and I think it would be a good thing to teach new beekeepers about the pros and cons of using a polyhive, if they should decide to go down that route.

Buy LOCAL !!

Phone or email Ross at BeeHiveSupplies near Callington... now Plymouth's nearest bee equipment supplier?

And designed to fit BS National equipment without all the faffing, removing ridges etc etc as with some other makes of polly equipment

https://www.beehivesupplies.co.uk/images/Wooden super in polyhive.jpg

Buy LOCAL !!

... now Plymouth's nearest bee equipment supplier?

Might be local to you....but Plymouth is not local to me.
Abelo is my nearest Beekeeping supplier...so I do shop local.

And no pesky lip!

It's odd how some love and others loathe them.

I have Swienty (no lip) and Paradise honey (lip). They both do the job but the ones with the lip don't slide around when stacked. The Paynes polynucs have the same feature.

Swienty Langstroth boxes, covers & feeders because they are all "one piece" & sturdy, no lip and good thickness of poly all round. I use home made wood floors and the cover is the metal one

OA vaping done using an eke at the top with a hole in it for the sublimox nozzle (take off roof, add eke, replace roof upside down, vape)

The boxes mix fine with wood although there is a bit of an overhang (poly box is thicker)

I made the decision to go all Poly not long after I stated out, I bought one Paynes and one Maisemore, I preferred the Maisemore and as they are less than an hour away from me that's what I went with, however, after a year or so I discovered Abelo and Swienty, had I the chance to start again I may have gone Swienty, the issue is as others have said, compatibility.
I can interchange Paynes and Maisemore Supers but they don't look right, I'll just have to stick with Maisemore now which is another kick due to them putting the prices up recently, I could now but Swienty Poly cheaper too!

Moral of the story, as is often said, when choosing your hive type think longer term and whether you will be expanding the number of Hives.

Swienty Langstroth boxes, covers & feeders because they are all "one piece" & sturdy, no lip and good thickness of poly all round. I use home made wood floors and the cover is the metal one

OA vaping done using an eke at the top with a hole in it for the sublimox nozzle (take off roof, add eke, replace roof upside down, vape)

The boxes mix fine with wood although there is a bit of an overhang (poly box is thicker)

I'm curious about your homemade wood floors - Are they solid? with mesh? underfloor entrance (kewl) type ?

Latest posts

Back