Suggest best polyhive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before but can you recommend a good quality polyhive? I run the Beginners course for our local association and I think it would be a good idea to have a polyhive in our teaching apiary as they are becoming so popular (and of course they are cheaper than the cedar wooden hives) and I think it would be a good thing to teach new beekeepers about the pros and cons of using a polyhive, if they should decide to go down that route.

I have been using the Maisemore Poly hive (National) for a whole season now, they are not really compatible with the standard national supers. I have just have some of the Abelo ones, these are the same footprint as the national but they only take 10 frames, this is not a problem as I either run double BB's or 14x12. I will say at a glance the Abelo looks a much better box, I particularly like the hard plastic edges. I'm using just the BB's on a standard floor, crown board and roof.

Whatever is compatible with the other kit on hand, in particular something you can easily use wooden supers, clearer/snelgrove/whatever boards on.

I have just have some of the Abelo ones, these are the same footprint as the national but they only take 10 frames...

My Abelos take eleven frames and space for a dummy board?

Vote for the Abelo as well. Avoid Swienty which only takes ten frames and the bees eat.

My Abelos take eleven frames and space for a dummy board?

Vote for the Abelo as well. Avoid Swienty which only takes ten frames and the bees eat.

Not used them yet, a mate said the only take 10! I'll go and check shortly and try 11 Hoffman in there.

Thanks for the information.

We have Maisemore poly 14x12 and the 2 people that introduced us to Beekeeping have Maisemore poly with no problems for a few years, the only thing i would complain about is the stupid name indent on the landing board that the bees trip down as they leave the entrance!! but having had a look at the Abelos at Beetradex they look well made too, suppose its what suits your needs and you can get at a suitable price?

swienty for me Same boxes going since early 2000, Abelo and swienty have the same foot print as wooden hives so easily compatible, that should be a major plus for those 2. Swienty will take 11 frames but its a squeeze and frames are seconds with the narrow top bar, you are better off with a dummy.

Last edited:
swienty for me Same boxes going since early 2000, Abelo and swienty have the same foot print as wooden hives so easily compatible, that should be a major plus for those 2. Swienty will take 11 frames but its a squeeze and frames are seconds with the narrow top bar, you are better off with a dummy.
If you glue the joints you actually cannot get 11 in without causing damage on the swienty brood boxes.

I use 10 dn4 and 1 Dn1 (dummy) and it fits a treat. Run them all as doubles.

Looking to get a few abelo brood boxes at some point this season as well. If anyone has a picture of a swienty brood box sitting on an abelo box (or vice versa) can you post it up for me please?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Paynes for me..sold all my wooden hives..better survival rate over winter

... If anyone has a picture of a swienty brood box sitting on an abelo box (or vice versa) can you post it up for me please?

d3d382a50b16496a1822ee43d467953e.jpg

2ac9a8001548a783ed103f64fe54efee.jpg

There is more to this than any particular favourite for any random beekeeper. It is your job to get across the options, not to be prescriptive.

Two examples might be better - one with good attributes and one rubbish one - as new beeks may well go for the cheapest, which may not be a good idea. Boxes which get chewed (not eaten!) or where the need is for two boxes (rather than a single) so means extra cost or higher swarming risks. Using timber floors makes little odds to heat balance and (deep) National roofs, with adequate insulation inserted, may be a better option over some poly floors and roofs.

Not getting tied to one brand is important, I think. Other hive formats, than National, will have similar pros and cons.

The one universal reason for going poly - that of improved insulation, leading to lower stores usage over winter - so better potential winter survival - needs to be discussed but not over-pushed on the flock. Timber hives can be just as good if the beekeeper thinks about how they are used - not perhaps an attribute of some new beeks. There are both good and bad hives, whatever they may be made from.

Stick to those polys that are compatible with wooden hives it’s a major advantage

How do you vape an Abelo with a varrox - can you do it from beneath the ventilated floor?
(Sorry - off topic slightly)

Through the entrance though sealing the floor is a bit tricky.

Abelo for me though with different floors and crownboards. Brood boxes and supers are good, roofs are OK. The great thing is they mix'n'match with DIY wood or other boxes of similar external dimensions.

And no pesky lip!

Prepainted is a big plus.

You get much stronger colonies in the green boxes for some reason ;)

Latest posts

Back