sugar warning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essex paul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 full and up to 20 nucs
just been tipped off by Costco's that in the new year the price of sugar will be jumping from £8+ a case to over £11. This price rise will affect all suppliers and will filter down to fondant aswell. Apparently it is due to a jump in the wholesale worldwide price. At present it is on special at Costco £7+ at the moment.

Thanks for that - will go get some this year and stock.

On an aside- cotton going up 82% as India cannot grow enough cotton for demand. Clothing going to be more expensive!

I just bought a sack of sugar at the weekend and was thinking maybe I should get some more.
However, there doesn't seem to be any kind of best before date on the bag, so if stored in the dry, how long can you keep it?

Brian

I just bought a sack of sugar at the weekend and was thinking maybe I should get some more.
However, there doesn't seem to be any kind of best before date on the bag, so if stored in the dry, how long can you keep it?

Brian

Given you are not holding for human consumption, pretty much indefinately if it is dry, low humidity and protected from pests (and subject to the packaging being stable over an extended periods,, multi layer paper sacks are not) To achieve all that in a home / garage environment is however pretty much impossible. I'd say you have a year in reality (assuming the kids dont ride a bike into it :biggrinjester: )

We use very little sugar domestically so ours last 5 years plus...:Angel_anim:

don't you feed syrup to your bees masdafish?

Poly
Yes But only fresh sugar:)

there doesn't seem to be any kind of best before date on the bag, so if stored in the dry, how long can you keep it?

Brian

If I remember correctly, sugar is the only food exempted from the requirement to have best before date. That's because it lasts forever without degrading.

Paul

That's because it lasts forever without degrading.

Paul

Agreed, sugar does, paper sacks don't, thats where the problem of long term storage for semi-bulk sugar originates.

Coffee is going up too:

World Coffee Prices

2010 has seen some of the largest coffee price hikes in recent times, with green bean prices increasing nearly 50% for Arabica beans and 35% for Robusta Beans which currently sees coffee pricing at a 20 year high. We expect prices to increase further over the next 12 Months (possibly around another 30%)

Please click HERE for more information on world pricing.

The key reasons for the increases are as follows:

1. Poor weather conditions in Colombia with crop harvests down 30%

2. Increased consumption in China & India

3. Demand outstripping supply

4. Vietnam and Brazil - two of the world's Top 3 exporters - are scheming to hoard their stockpiles

After receiving 3 price increases this year and a 4th increase due in January, we will be forced to implement our first price increase in 3 years of between 7% - 10% across our range.

PH

Back