sugar @tescos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Burger King one day and the drive through was like the M25 so parked up and ordered meals for 5 people to takeaway the sales assistant asked me if I would like a bag, I replied how do you expect me to carry them out are you going to help me, he gave me a vague teenage look so I said no thanks I will have a tray. Very handy tray I might add for keeping seed trays on. :leaving:

50p or less a kg,but you do need to buy it all the time,which adds up to many tons....some big companys do this,some are even free.;)

However that does not fit in to my "without buying by the tonne". So for most of us a reasonable price I feel.

It was the same £3.99/5kg in Sainsbury's the last time I looked, for those having a problem with Tesco.

So for most of us a reasonable price I feel.

Oh Yes i agree completely,very cheap for most,could even up the price,which they most likely will... and it will still be very cheap if only a couple of bags are needed..

Last edited:
Oh Yes i agree completely,very cheap for most,could even up the price,which they most likely will... and it will still be very cheap if only a couple of bags are needed..

The best I have found is Makro 25Kg bags for £20 which works out at the same per lb

Isn't it a bit early for this conversation? I'm sure we normally talk about sugar prices in August.

Last autumn I got my sugar (140Kg) from Tesco, I ordered it online and had it delivered, I think I paid about 80p/Kg, I also managed to get free delivery, another discount for my first online order and points as well. The delivery guy wasn't phased by the order either, he assumed I was making marmalade!

I went to Burger King one day and the drive through was like the M25 so parked up and ordered meals for 5 people to takeaway the sales assistant asked me if I would like a bag, I replied how do you expect me to carry them out are you going to help me, he gave me a vague teenage look so I said no thanks I will have a tray. Very handy tray I might add for keeping seed trays on. :leaving:

Many sympathies, I hope your diet improves ;)

If you type something like " 25lb in kilos " into google it will show you the conversion. Works with any other conversion too.
Google's calculator conversion function is excellent; I've been using it for years. I was just gently indicating the pointlessness of converting to Imperial units for this comparison. All UK prices are going to be quoted (by law) in metric units. No conversion is necessary in this case.
Of course, if discussing historical food price inflation, one should also convert the price into £ s d rather than use the hybrid p/lb ... over ten shillings a pound for sugar! :eek:

I recall a French former client of mine. He had a problem with Euros. Because he had habitually converted things into Old Francs, which were abolished in about 1959. His mental arithmetic only seemed to work in "milles balles" ...

I used to use the MARS BAR inflation standard... now I use the price of petrol per litre as a standard of true (BLUE!) inflation

something I sold for £40 but 8 years ago would be valued at over £200 in todays petrol price hiked economy

so how much is a bag of sugar?

"His mental arithmetic only seemed to work in "milles balles"

The italians still think in lire - even for official purposes (ie fines are quoted in euros and lire, often resulting in strange euro sums due to the original legislation using sensible multiples of the old currency).

I have just come back from Sainsburys with a 5KG bag for £3.99, I did see in one of the pound shops at the weekend, a 1.2KG bag for a pound.

GNo conversion is necessary in this case.

Only for gormless of f**ts like myself who think in lbs having got well past school age before the metrication which has never seemed to actually finish, started.

It was the same £3.99/5kg in Sainsbury's the last time I looked, for those having a problem with Tesco.

Of course, if discussing historical food price inflation, one should also convert the price into £ s d rather than use the hybrid p/lb ... over ten shillings a pound for sugar! :eek:
Oh. :eek: I got it wrong then, because I worked out that £3.99 for 5 kilo is £0.798 (close to 80p) per kilo, which came to £0.36 (probably 36p) per lb

Oh. :eek: I got it wrong then, because I worked out that £3.99 for 5 kilo is £0.798 (close to 80p) per kilo, which came to £0.36 (probably 36p) per lb

No you appear to be right I am not sure how I got my prices. Dodgy maths obviously.

Only for gormless of f**ts like myself who think in lbs having got well past school age before the metrication which has never seemed to actually finish, started.

I went through school learning metric but with a dad whos adamant he'll never change. Man am I confused still:rolleyes:

The Americans claim to have landed on the Moon seems to fall down when you consider they worked in impossible fractional imperial 4 foot 8 and 1/2 inches 3 31/64ths inch etc !

What on earth is a JIN ?
1.8 jin = 33.1 oz = 0.94 kg = 2.07 lb

I went through school learning metric but with a dad whos adamant he'll never change. Man am I confused still:rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned the whole dammed country is confused. The milk delivered to my door step is 1 pt the whiskey I buy is 70cl compared to the pint of Guinness.

Latest posts

Back