Sugar syrup lasting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi there, can anyone advise how long 2 pints of sugar syrup should last a small swarm before I need to refill - this will save me opening them up to check (its all in a frame feeder).

Cheers

Jez

perfect, they got topped up last Sunday and had just started to draw comb on the flat foundation, shall check them this Sunday - they do seem very quiet today for some reason mind.

Cheers

Jez

Feeling depressed now, these bees are a swarm I collect 11 days ago and all seemed well, they had plenty of feed too. Things had gone very quiet yesterday PM so it seemed odd, jusy had a check and they are all gone barr about 30 bees looking lost - this is my second swarm lost this year! they had started to draw out comb across 3 frames.

Gggrrrr

Going for a walk to see if I can spot them :mad:

Jez

So sorry. Really bad luck. I have never put a queen excluder under the brood box of a swarm, but lots of people do. Your story makes me think I will next time.

The thing I did use a queen 'includer' for the first 3 days, once they settled in and seemed to be drawing comb everyone seemed to agree that they would not abandon at that stage - just goes to show that bees will do what they do, never mind.

Jez

make or buy some pollen subsitue or some candy and rub it into the outer skin of the last frame and were they in a nuc or a hive some times they leave because they have decided there is not enough room for later on also were they just staying because of the feed and if so was the frame empty or half full?

in a national hive, plenty of space with a frame feeder.

Are you beeless? best put your location into your profile and then if you are lucky a bee buddy on here will collect a swarm he/she doesn't need and give it to you.

Beeless indeed, other than the poor 30 bees that got left behind :) I have to say I think there is quite a bond that grows between a beekeeper and their bees and in particular a swarm (for me anyway)....next!

Jez

Your new profile made me laugh! Will you try swarm lure and bait hives?

Will try but dont expect much hope on that front, I have a couple of hives out and about and will keep an eye on them.

Cheers

I noticed you had them hived for around 11 days,did you have any brood ?

nope, never spotted the queen either although I am sure she was there, they didnt build much of the comb out either, very strange

Latest posts

Back