Sugar syrup....1:1 or 2:1 ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Reading Ted Hooper recently, I noted he only made reference to feeding syrup at a ratio of 2:1.......can't see any reference to 1:1.......so whats the collective wisdom on this? My understanding is that 2:1 is generally for winter feeding,with 1:1 for spring build up, but the fact that Ted does not mention it (or so I believe), leaves me curious...

2:1 (Imperial measures) is more easily stored.
1:1 is more capable of being consumed (turned into heat or wax) immediately by the bees.

/// I know of one well-respected beek who only ever feeds one mix, something like 1.5:1

/// Note that 2:1 (metric) doesn't stay completely dissolved after cooling. (As the Imperial proportions of 2lb to 1 pint, its fine.)

Last edited:
Just today I was talking with a guy running about a thousand hives, and he swears by three to one (three water, one sugar), as this is closer to nectar, and reduces the need for them to spend as much energy then gathering water. He swears they build wax like nothing else. I had never heard this before, but found it interesting. Thought I'd pass it down.

For swarms I use 1:5 (20%)
It makes bee to pull cell walls but it will not be stored.

(And it sounds cheaper on sugar!)

Not if they consume a great deal more! There will be a trade off where excess water needs to be evaporated and that consumes energy. As there will be for the beek carrying all that water around and having to feed more often -especially at out-apiaries!

Ceejay - if you stick to the normal system, sugar first, things are much easier to follow.

Finman - sorry but 1:5 is not 20%, only c.17% (ie 1 in 6).

Finman - for any feeding. I try never to feed if possible, but spring came so late this year many of us had no choice.
oliver - quite true

Finman - for any feeding. I try never to feed if possible, but spring came so late this year many of us had no choice.
oliver - quite true

I have feeded big hives even at the end of June sometimes. They were so empty for rainy weathers.

Yea - I have too. You got to do what you got to do...

I have to ask - How long is the season in Finland? (I was there for a day 30 years ago in April, and it was cold - by my standards, at least :)) What is an average haul for a strong hive? What kind of bees are preferred or common there? I imagine some of these factors would alter things like syrup ratios

Last edited:
Yea - I have too. You got to do what you got to do...

I have to ask - How long is the season in Finland?

There is no flowers in April
Willows start blooming about 1st of May and brooding can start.
Hives are ready to get yield about 25.6 when raspberry starts blooming.
Those hives mut be wintered in one box or in two box. Boxes are very full of bees after winter, if they are going to harvest yield in June.

Willows bloom 1.5-28.5.
Dandelion 28.5-10.6.
Spring rape blooms about 25.6-15.7.
Fireweed blooms about 10.7-27.7
10.8 all essential blooming is over.
During first week of September the hives must be feeded. If it goes later, bees cannot cap the food.

Winter feeding is made with 1:2 syrup. Most hives winter in one box. On average the hives consume 20 kg sugar during winter from September to May.

Average yield is 40-80 kg. Years are different. Good yield comes from pastures. Migrative beekeeping is important. Hobby beekeepers use to get better yields, even douple compared to professionals. it depends how many hives are in one spot and how good pastures you may select.

There are areas where hive density is too high and there are not enough pasture to efficient harvesting.

If I have weak hives at the beginning of main yield, I join them, when I move them to rape fields or to fireweed woods.

Professionals start winter feeding at the first half of August.

Most common bee is Italian. Carniolan is favorite and Buckfast. Black bee is practically zero.

Last edited:
I imagine some of these factors would alter things like syrup ratios

Those things have nothing to do with sugar ratio. There are no "life artist" on that area. Finnish beekeepers are very practical guys. Our winter is so severe that "Painters of Horizont" or "Globe Salvadors" do not stay long. What beeks are, they are the most stubborn people what I have met. They are allways right.
Average age of beekeepers is 58 y. There are quite few under 30 y beekeepers.

Those things have nothing to do with sugar ratio. There are no "life artist" on that area. Finnish beekeepers are very practical guys. Our winter is so severe that "Painters of Horizont" or "Globe Salvadors" do not stay long. What beeks are, they are the most stubborn people what I have met. They are allways right.

Posts like this should have a 'LIKE' button :)

Very interesting - thank you!

There are no "life artist" on that area... Our winter is so severe that "Painters of Horizont" or "Globe Salvadors" do not stay long.

I'm afraid I don't understand these terms. Please, no offense was meant.
I just meant that since your season is so short and winters so long, that it may (and apparently does not) affect the amount or concentration of sugar.

Very interesting - thank you!

I'm afraid I don't understand these terms. Please, no offense was meant.
I just meant that since your season is so short and winters so long, that it may (and apparently does not) affect the amount or concentration of sugar.

It affects that blooming is concentrated in nature. It is short time to bloom and make berries, fruits and seeds. Then plants start to prepare themselves to winter.

Yeah. The sugar concentration is at its top in market store.

Back